• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Off I go...

Ahhh, my appointment in August needs to be rearranged and they offered me an appointment with another new dentist there 😖

Oh how frustrating... I seem to remember that you got on well with the last dentist you saw there, when would they have an appointment available?

I don't want to seem like a pain and I already felt silly asking which dentist it would be with. This other new one seems good, and I had already said I was free most of that week. I don't want to ask to change it again as they might think I'm being weird. I did read the little bio they have on their website for this new one and they do seem like they'll be just as good as my original one and the one I saw in Feb. I don't know what to do :frantic:

I'm feeling mostly alright about my appointment that's in just under two weeks time. Still feel a bit anxious and panicked at times but I'm sure I'll be alright. I think it's just the worry of seeing another new dentist, but I know I was alright when I saw a new one in February and I'm sure I'll be fine this time too. Everyone there has always been so kind and ressauring, so I'm positive that this new dentist will be too. Fingers crossed 🤞

Appointment is on Wednesday. Starting to panic a bit, but not as much as I normally do. Feeling a bit anxious atm but I'm sure that will pass, hopefully. I've got to keep telling myself that I will be fine. Everyone is kind and caring and I'm sure the new dentist will be too. All I need to worry about is getting myself there on Wednesday 😬

Hope your appointment next Wednesday goes really well! Seeing how it's a private practice, if you like this new dentist, maybe you could ask to stay with them? It seems like a lot of dentist-switching, which must be really stressful (even for a non-nervous patient)!

Best of luck :clover: :XXLhug:

@letsconnect I will try. I honestly want to stick with the dentist I originally saw there, but I don't know if that's possible. I don't know which dentist my original appointment was meant to be with, probably the one I originally saw, but they needed to rearrange my appointment (they did explain why) 😕

I knew I was getting myself worried for no good reason 😅

I had my check up & cleaning this morning, had my check up with the new dentist first. They were so lovely, I knew I was worrying about nothing. They were very friendly and understanding and explained everything, just like my original one and the one I saw in February. They seemed very pleased with my teeth & gums, which must mean I'm doing something right 😁

Had my cleaning with a hygienist I've seen before here, she seemed quite pleased with my oral hygiene. And the best bit is, that I had my first clean in like three years nearly with the ultrasonic, instead of it just being by hand (still do not like the noise of it scraping across my teeth 😬).

I'm honestly so relieved at how it went ☺️

It's amazing what time and a very kind & understanding dental team can do. I had my six monthly check up on Thursday just gone, and I actually felt mostly calm. Which is a shock. I did have a moment before I left the house before I set off where I was panicking, but it passed. I saw the dentist I saw the last time I was there, and they were so lovely again. No problems once again 😁

I honestly don't think I would have gotten to this point without the understanding people on here and at my dentist. So I just want to say a big thank you to everyone who put up with my ramblings over the years, it really does mean a lot to me :thankyou:

It's amazing what time and a very kind & understanding dental team can do. I had my six monthly check up on Thursday just gone, and I actually felt mostly calm. Which is a shock. I did have a moment before I left the house before I set off where I was panicking, but it passed. I saw the dentist I saw the last time I was there, and they were so lovely again. No problems once again 😁

I honestly don't think I would have gotten to this point without the understanding people on here and at my dentist. So I just want to say a big thank you to everyone who put up with my ramblings over the years, it really does mean a lot to me :thankyou:
Way to go, frostgirl! I’ve followed your journey for quick some time. Look at us becoming normal dentist goers. 😮

It is amazing how much a kind dental team helps. I’ve recently started seeing a new dentist and they asked if I needed anything like a water bottle. It really helped me see that it’s a service and we’re the customers. I’m not sure the right-before jitters will ever go away (I mean clinical stuff is naturally kind of stress inducing haha), but I took a pic of myself in the chair the other day and I cannot imagine ever being in that chair a couple years ago. It’s pretty wild. Congrats to you!

I haven't felt the need to update this because when I went for my last check up everything was once again good 😊

I've been to my check up today and again it was a positive experience. But I need a filling 😬 There's been a watch on one of my teeth for the past few years and my dentist has suggested that it would be wise to fill it before it gets any bigger or starts to hurt. So I've got to get my first ever filling in a few weeks time. And I'm starting to slightly panic now even though there's a few weeks to go :scared:

I am trying not to dwell on my upcoming appointment but I am literally winding myself up. I think it's just the fear of the unknown getting to me, because even though I've read the helpful info page on this site about what happens when you get a filling and I've googled what happens (bad idea I know :shame:) I still feel quite anxious/nervous.

I've tried to calm myself down by telling myself that my dentist is lovely and they always put me at ease, it's not helping 😖

I am thankful that they've given one of the first appointments of the day so I won't have to worry the whole of that day about it, but my mind is currently like this: :frantic:

@frostgirl wonderful to hear that things have been going well for the last year, and that you've been able to see the same lovely dentist - that's great :thumbsup!: !

As you say, your dentist is lovely and they always put you at ease, so worrying about the appointment is not going to change the outcome in the slightest 🙂. It sounds as if you've already done all you can do in terms of preparing yourself. Your dentist sounds very caring, and the kind of person who'll make sure that you're comfortable throughout ☺️. I'm certain that you'll be OK :grouphug:

Hopefully, you'll be able to find plenty of distractions over the next couple of weeks!

Thank you for your kind reply letsconnect!

I am going to try my best to distract myself over the next couple of weeks, I don't want to psyche myself out too much or I'll probably won't go. And I do want to get this sorted whilst it's still small.

You are right though, they do care and I know I'm in good hands with everyone there :)

I've read the helpful info page on this site about what happens when you get a filling and I've googled what happens (bad idea I know :shame:) I still feel quite anxious/nervous.
I read all of the info here too, and it made me feel less anxious/nervous. I ended up not needing a filling after all. The dentist said we'd do the cleaning and go from there back then. As for your comment about cleanings and the sound I didn't care/mind it. For me it was...relaxing? Dental stuff has improved so much over the years and decades, and I trust they'd not hurt you or anyone else on purpose. I need to actively go again to a dentist, speaking of...

@thedogdemon I do feel a tiny bit better after reading what will happen but my mind is just panicking.

I don't mind the noises of a cleaning when they use the one that sprays out water (can't remember the name of it 😅), it's just the noise of the thing they use to do it by hand I'm not a fan of. Thankfully when I was there the other day they didn't use that one too much 😅

I know I'll be absolutely fine, and I know my dentist and the nurse will make sure I'm comfortable before they actually begin. I think I'm just a bit apprehensive about it, because I've never had any dental treatment done before and I'm still a tiny bit anxious about going, even though I know everyone there is lovely 😅🙈

I don't mind the noises of a cleaning when they use the one that sprays out water (can't remember the name of it 😅), it's just the noise of the thing they use to do it by hand I'm not a fan of. Thankfully when I was there the other day they didn't use that one too much 😅
Might be a waterpik? I wanna save and get a good one for home. I'd rather not go cheap on that expense!

@thedogdemon I mean the thing the hygienist uses to clean teeth, I want to say it's called an ultrasonic but I'm not sure 🤔

But yes, a good waterpik is a good investment. I got a decent one for £30 on Amazon so I can clean my wisdom teeth better when they're acting up & irritating me 😅

I have managed to mostly calm myself down. I've still got a bit of anxiety/apprehension about my next appointment, but I'm sure I'll be fine.

But I do have a slight worry. I was talking with a work mate and they've said I won't get numbed when I get my filling. Now I'm starting to panic that I'm going to feel everything. It's only a small filling I need, I think, and the decay is still in the enamel of the tooth. But I will be numbed for it? I don't want to risk feeling anything, I don't think I'd be able to stay calm if there's the possibility of feeling it :frantic:

I'm sure my dentist said I'll be numbed for it but I can't quite remember cos I was in a bit of a panic at that point after I'd been told I need a filling 😬

@frostgirl You should be numbed for it, yes. I’ve had 4 fillings in the last month (2 each visit) and I was certainly numbed for it. In fact I needed a little extra numbing as my jawline side always takes a bit more to numb as it turns out.
If you’re apprehensive about the needle, make sure you ask for numbing gel first. It works a treat. :)
All the best! 🤗

Back