• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Oil Pulling: Aid to Oral a Health, or Quackery?

D

Dancinhamster

I guess everyone on this forum like myself, is willing to do anything they can to maintain good oral health, so we don't have to go to the dreaded dentist.

Well, when researching home remedies for TMJD, I saw many posts and sites praising the old Ayurvedic practise of 'oil pulling'. It's basically swooshing a large spoonful of organic oil (un toasted sesame, coconut, sunflower, hemp etc) around in your mouth upon waking. You're supposed to gently work the oil around the mouth for up to 20 mins, spit it put, rinse out with warm water - and viola! Healthy teeth, healthy gums and great general well-being.

So, does anyone do it? Does it work? Why do some dentists recommend it, and some think it's nonsense?

I am willing to try if it means no more TMJD or dentists!

I actually started doing this tonight. I only have extra virgin olive oil in my apartment, but Friday when I go shopping I'm going to grab some sesame and coconut oil. Apparently oil pulling has been around a lot longer than our current forms of dentistry, and this has been tested in labs. Scientist have looked at the oil after it has been swished, under microscopes and can prove that there are bacteria embryo's in it.

I doubt dentist are going to agree that this can actually do anything because think of thousands of dollars they would be losing if people can find a cheaper and healthier way to fix the problem.

I heard once, that there is nothing on in this planet that can't be remedied by something the planet has given us. I'm going to try this for a while.

i wrote about this on my thread. i got some sesame seed oil and am due to start this this morning, if you've read as much on it as i have theres just about everyone doing this has had near enough immediate results and swear by it and also swear by raw milk and raw butter and grass fed animal meat. i should think alot of dentists won't agree with it as they will lose money, ive also bought non fluoride toothpaste.

google remineralize teeth

If I was in charge of a government run dental care program the first thing I would do would be to outlaw all non flouride toothpastes in order to save money.

I read that oil-pulling would help my TMJD flare up, so I started with organic extra virgin coconut oil on November 29th. Within an hour of oil-pulling, I began to experience new pain in my rear upper left teeth. Long story short - 4 emergency dental visits costing over £400 now, two lots of antibiotics, fever & sickness, terrible pain.....and on Xmas Eve I had to go to a private dentist who found a problem and recommended root canal.

My phobia is out of control....I had a root canal - it was agony, and resulted in abscesses and a painful extraction. So, I can only surmise that it's all BS. I stopped pulling on Xmas Eve, and won't ever try it again. I hold it responsible for causing terrible pain....and a dreaded procedure to 'look forward to' ....:cry:

The only way that I can imagine that swishing liquid around your mouth can have a benificial effect on your jaw joint is through the muscle exercise.
If this is the case then you could do the same with water.
Doubtless if you searched google long enough you could find someone who has 'proved'that anything works. It doesn't make it good science and it doesnt make it true. Dentists don't recommend treatments such as this because there is a lack of published science that has been rigorously tested.

Back