• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

OK this is a question I've had since I got my crown

C

chazzaroux

Former Member
A few years back I had a tooth that cracked, but not down to the root.. My dentist suggested that I crown it because of the location of the crack (between the teeth) (this top molar number 14 I believe the one you get at age 5) anyway I of course got a temp crown, silver, and was replaced with a normal perm. crown... Anyway, since the crown was put on, heaven help I get to close to that tooth with a fork, spoon, or anything metal when I eat.. cause it feels like an static electric zing.. I thought at first that it was just because it was a thin temp crown, then I got the new perm one and it kept happening, not that I get close to my tooth with a fork, etc often mind you, but occasionally it does happen.. now it's been about 2 years and tonight I accidentally touched it with the thine of a fork and ZING.. is this normal? the tooth doesn't bother me at all at any other time.heck most of the time I forget I have a crown, but on those rare occasion that I'm not careful, or heaven forbid shoveling food into my starving yap too quickly and a piece of metal hits t and it's like nails on a chalk board

Hi I don't know if this is normal but when I was a kid I and my friends used to put mental objects on our teeth that had fillings and it gave us a zap like the one you are feeling. We thought it was fun and had hours of laughter at each other doing this :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

But the lot older version of me would be horrified if I had to tolerate this, have you asked the dentist what the crown is made up of and let them know it is causing you trouble. They may be able to change the crown for something different. I have crowns and all different, I haven't experienced this with them though and I don't want to.

I would see your dentist and see if they can solve it for you, let us know how you get on please. I am very curious myself to know the answer to this. Sorry I can't be of any help to you :butterfly::butterfly:

I've done some research on this and found that it can indeed be normal.. with metal fillings and with crowns made of metal.. mine is metal and procelan.. Metal on the inside and tooth colored porcelan on the outside.. it has something to do with like chewing on tinfoil with a metal filling (which sadly I do still have a few of the old metal fillings in my teeth.. one right next to the tooth with the crown) it creates a like a battery in your mouth and could cause that static electricity feeling.. Or at least I hope that is all that it is.. I cannot afford to get the crown switched out to something else.. it took me a year to pay off this crown.. if a dentist here on the board would please answer me I would greatly appreciate it it is called galvanic shock. is this what I'm experiencing ?

I will also say that it happens soooo infrequently too. like i can count on my 1 hand and still have fingers left over of how many times it has happened since I got my perm. crown. now with the temp.. yea, it happened a few times during that 2 wk period i had that on, but I was told to expect that, cause really it's just a thin piece of metal cap.. and it only happens if for some weird reason that I touch the back side right up on the gum line..

Back