• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Old root canal - pain

S

sparklefairy

I had a root canal done 18 months ago but recently the tooth has been very sensitive and painful again. I’ve got an appointment in 2 months and they can’t see me before then, even in an emergency - I’ve been told to call 111 if needed but I’m already terrified about the upcoming appointment that I don’t really want to. But I’m guessing it’s not normal for the tooth to suddenly start being painful again after so long. I’m on a liquid diet (have been for 3 years due to anorexia) so eating isn’t a problem but hot/cold drinks cause pain plus the general toothache type feeling that’s there all the time and occasional ear pain which I think is related.

The Dentist who did the initial RCT said he didn’t know if it would be successful or not but I was desperate to avoid having the tooth pulled that I told him to give it a go anyway.

I’m sure I haven’t helped myself because recently my mental health has been so crap and I’ve not been taking care of myteeth at all. But that’s the least ofmy Worries at the moment and to be honest I haven’t got the mental capacity to care about things like cleaning my teeth. But I’m equally scared that the dentist will judge me if I do go.

Dentists don't judge. We're "do-ers" by nature, most of the time we're too busy trying to work out what we can do to fix things rather than worrying about how they get that way.
Sounds like your root canal is failing, unfortunately.

Back