• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Omg - Emergency Appt This Aft!! Help!!

L

leela

OK, MAJOR PANIC ATTACK.

I told my dentist I was in a lot of pain, so they managed to get me in for an appt. with the endodontist this afternoon, I leave in an hour.

I'M SHAKING, I'M SICK AND I WANT TO VOMIT. How am I going to get through this? My regular dentist couldn't even do the whole consultation because I was freaking out so much and I've known her for years. What is this new guy going to think of my insane fear? Not that I care, I really don't. But I don't want him to kick me out of the office because I'm untreatable either.

I'm so scared guys, I could cry I'm so scared. Can you give me some good vibes or prayers or something to get me through this. And if he does determine I need a root canal - that will be April 1.

I'm so scared. :hidesbehindsofa:

I know how scary it is to suddenly have to face something you're afraid of. The good side of it is that you don't have that much time to panic. It will soon be over. Will the new dentist actually do anything today? If not, you can discuss sedation options with him. If I remember correctly, you have had IV sedation previously and you liked it. Why not try that this time again, if possible? And if you happen to have any anti-anxiety drugs at home, you could take some now for this appointment.

And yes, I can definitely pray for you. Good luck, YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Well normal procedure with my dentist is that SHE does the entire examination and diagnosis and then you just go to the endodontist for the root canal.

But I was sooooooooo nervous on Monday that all I managed to get through was the xray (in tears) and letting her look at the tooth with a mirror - but I jumped out of the chair when she was actually going to touch it with something.

So she decided to refer me to the endo for the consultation first in the hopes that I'll let HIM do the exam that I wouldn't let her do. I think I actually scared her. I talked to her yesterday and she pretty much told me she's afraid of hurting me and doesn't want me to hate her (I've known her for years, but this is the first time something has come up this serious).

So the endo will have to do the entire exam (if I can actual sit through it) includng taking another xray, and then he will determine if I really do need the root canal - which the dentist is 99.99999% certain of).

The actual root canal would be Wednesday, and you are correct, I will be sedated.

Did I say I'm scared TO DEATH!!!!!!!! And this is just the consultation. I'll be catatonic on Wednesday.

Anyway, I'm just rambling now because of the nerves. Thankfully my husband is coming with me.

hi again just thought i would say im thinking of you and i really hope it all went well just think when its all over no more pain! hope your new dentist is just as nice as your usual one too im sure he will be i bet yr regular dentist wouldn't have recommended him otherwise

best wishes

emma:respect:

UPDATE: Emergency Appt This Aft!! Help!!

Hi there,

I just wanted to report on my appt. with the endo this aft. First of all, he was an absolute sweetheart. He had to do another xray (this time I was fine with it) as well as an exam. The thing that made me run screaming from the dentist was when she said she had to put a cold probe on my tooth. Cold was what made me feel the sharp shooting pain, and I did not want to feel that. I told him no as well, and then he told me based on the xray, the dentist's report, and my feedback he was pretty sure, but that the cold test would be the most conclusive. I finally let him do it, and it was NOTHING. That was probably for 2 reasons - I had taken pain meds before I went and have been taking them since last Friday so that probably numbed the pain, and the little probe he put on my tooth was very tiny and only covered a small surface area, so it wouldn't have felt as intense.

But having said all that, I now have a root canal booked for Wednesday. YIKES!!! IV sedation of course. He didn't even ask me how far under I "wanted" to be, he told me I would be totally out of it and have no idea what was going on. Fine by me!!

In case anyone is interested, the cost here in Canada for the root canal work by an endo is $1100 (estimate only) and $400 for the anesthesiologist. Of course after that I'll need a crown, and I'm guessing that's another $1000. Thankfully it's all covered under insurance.

So I know I sound calm now, but I'll probably be catatonic by next Wednesday.

Thanks for all the support, and I'm sure I'll be needing more next week!!

A nice endo, IV sedation...I'd be more worried about the cost personally! And as you said that's covered by insurance (lucky!) so I don't think you'll have anything to worry about.