• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

OMG i actually did it

Freyja

Freyja

when I was told in December last year that I needed to get my top two wisdom teeth extracted and a molar next to the wisdom tooth, I have been having endless panic attacks and dreaded the moment.

I was supposed to get it done last month but had such bad anxiety I cancelled it and went to the hospital to see what else could be done. at the hospital, they said that I could use the laughing gas when booked and it still scared me but I just honestly gave up and decided if it has to happen that I will just put on my big girl pants and suck it up.... easier said than done..

So leading up to my appointment, I was going to cancel it and felt like total crap, wanted to throw up a lot and yeah just total full blown panic attacks but I forced myself into going..

I am just going to be as honest as possible and say that I was anxious for no reason at all.

Long post but here it goes.

So I go in and first I am given a drink with Valium and after a few minutes they put the gas thing over my mouth and while breathing that me and two dentists there start talking about youtube videos of people on the gas saying funny things and I told them, that wouldn't be me.. how wrong I was.

Anyway so I am given a few needles to numb my mouth and after a few minutes, its time for teeth to come out. the molar was first and I am told I have extremely strong roots and it was the hardest tooth he has ever had to pull. I didn't feel any pain except a lot of pressure and it wasn't bad enough to even care about. Next thing I know he shows me my tooth that he pulled and I should say I went into the dentist not wanting to see anything but that gas made me want to see it and keep it ( didn't get to keep it).
Next came wisdom tooth and that one came out much easier and he put in dissolvable stitches.

That was it, it was all over with. I am booked in for the other wisdom tooth to come out, was supposed to get done today but he said that one tooth took was enough of a workout for him for today haha.

So I said some pretty embarrassing stuff about how much I love them and wanting to meet their parents and so on.. very embarrassing but damn that gas stuff is amazing..

So just for anyone who is anxious about getting teeth extracted, I highly recommend the gas and try not to be so nervous because it is no where near as bad as you think beforehand.

I am told that I will be pretty sore soon enough as all the pressure he was putting on my mouth and said it will feel like I have been punched in the jaw, but im okay with it.. the worst is over by far and I am so incredibly proud of myself. I finally faced my biggest fear and it was a fear I now realise should never have been a fear to begin with..

fingers crossed now for a speedy easy recovery

Congrats and well done! :jump::jump::jump: give yourself a pat on the back. Glad all went well and it wasn't as bad as you imagined. Hope this experience helps you to be more relaxed for the other extractions. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

thank you Enarete

thought I would give a update and one day after extraction i am pain free and just got out of dentist for a check up to see if all is well and thankfully everything is going perfect and i have been stressing about bleeding and so on for no good reason as it is all a normal thing with wisdom teeth extractions..

Anyway, all good news for me and high hopes it will stay that well :)

day 2 after wisdom tooth and molar removed and I have a bit of pain but it is easily ignored. I can say the most annoying thing with tooth extractions now is by far the healing stage.
I miss eating food I can chew or exercising and so on.. But yeah just waiting for things to go back to normal now