• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Omg - I Did Something I Thought Was Impossible!!!

L

leela

I have got to share this with you guys, I'm very excited.

The last time I had fillings done was 20 years ago and they had to be done under GA. My dentist wanted me to come in today to try a filling instead of a root canal. I was FREAKING OUT. I took some Ativan before I went, and that definetely helped A LOT.

Anyway, she gave me two shots of the "normal" LA, and as expected, it was useless. She poked at my gums, teeth and I totally felt it. She waited another few minutes, and the same thing. She was completely ready to give up because she knew I was fighting the meds and the best way to describe me was "subdued hysteria". The tech was taking my pulse and said it was off the charts.

But I was the one who really wanted to get through this. I wanted to be rid of the pain, the obsession, the anticipation, the sleepless nights - I just wanted it over.

So she had another LA to try called Ultracain. She said they normally use it for "really large men" (I weigh 120 pounds), but she gave me 2 shots of it, and finally I was frozen. I felt ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for the entire procedure. It did take close to an hour and a half and it was only a filling, but it was old and huge and gross, so really took her time. She said there was some decay there, and she could see some ruptures, so hopefully the work she did today will mean I won't need a root canal.

We do not know that for sure, and unfortunately, the possibility exists that if the pain does come back, it means a root canal will be needed, but she felt pretty strongly that she was able to fix me up and is hopeful that this is it for this tooth.

But I did it - she gave me a big hug and everyone there told me how proud they were of me. And really, I'm proud of myself. I never thought it a million years I would be able to get a filling with just LA, not even nitrous. It was partly due to being sick and tired of being sick and tired, and partly due to a wonderful dental office.

I still can't say I want to go through this again anytime soon, but I guess if I had to, I know now I could do it.

Just wanted to share that with you all as I consider myself the worst dental patient that's ever lived.

THERE IS HOPE MY FRIENDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!:grouphug:

Congratulations leela :jump::jump:!!! You must feel so proud of yourself :cloud9:. Great news that the pain was just temporary!

P.S. Would you mind if we moved this thread to "Success stories" (because that's what it really is :)?)

By all means - move er over. :)
Thanks for the feeback.

Marvellous news - so pleased for you..you are living proof then that anxiety can interfere with the working of local anesthetic. :grouphug:

Hi leela
i said it before but im going to say it again anyway WELL DONE !! :thumbsup::jump:
you have every right to be proud of yrself you should definately treat yourself to something nice anything just so you can feel rewarded ( that is rewarded besides being painfree!!!!)
hope i can be as brave as you!!

all the best

emma:yay: