• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

On my journey to a new smile

It’s day 2 and it amazes me how with 3 extractions I experienced minimal pain. But this one extraction is causing me so much pain. I woke up in the middle of the night throbbing pain and had to take more ibuprofen. Today I was in pain as well. The neighboring teeth were very sore and tender and my gums are throbbing!

Thanks everyone for hearing me and I appreciate all the responses and support as well. You guys are amazing.

Stitches were removed yesterday. Last two extractions scheduled for 10/31 :shame:

Helpmex, Is the one tooth getting any better?? hope so! how is it feeling after stiches removed?:grouphug:

Helpmex, Is the one tooth getting any better?? hope so! how is it feeling after stiches removed?:grouphug:

The tooth next to the extraction has a little sensitivity but nothing crazy. It feels great to have the stitches removed, however, because no bone graft was done, I feel the hole. Also whenever food gets stuck it’s a little uncomfortable. But other than that, I’m doing ok. Looking forward and also not looking forward to getting my final two extractions. I guess it feels amazing to be done with treatments and to finally get started on fixing my teeth. Now I only need to worry about implant procedures, which I don’t have to really worry about until maybe a year or two depending how fast my teeth gets straightened.

Hi all.. I’m feeling a little down. My next two extractions is set to be done on Oct 31st. However, I found out that I’m pregnant (about 7 weeks now) I know it’s early to mention and talk about it, but now I feel like I can’t get the final extractions done. I did not ask my doctor nor dentist yet whether it’s safe to do extractions on first trimester or best to wait at second trimester. I honestly wanna get these extractions over with as it was my final ones. Also reading about pregnancy causing a lot of dental problems scares me too. I know this should be a time to celebrate and be happy. But I’m just bummed.

Helpmex,

First off congratulations on your pregnancy! Give yourself a lot of grace and love , as much as anxiety and questions are there. It just so human to be scared at the dental extractions in the first place but then to want to be safe and have extra precautions being pregnant and wanting to make sure to be safe.. Can you talk to your dentist before the 31st when this is scheduled for just to give yourself some peace? I hope you find answers to your questions soon from your dentist or Dr.

Hi all.. I’m feeling a little down. My next two extractions is set to be done on Oct 31st. However, I found out that I’m pregnant (about 7 weeks now) I know it’s early to mention and talk about it, but now I feel like I can’t get the final extractions done. I did not ask my doctor nor dentist yet whether it’s safe to do extractions on first trimester or best to wait at second trimester. I honestly wanna get these extractions over with as it was my final ones. Also reading about pregnancy causing a lot of dental problems scares me too. I know this should be a time to celebrate and be happy. But I’m just bummed.

Congrats, Helpmex! What a lovely news, however I can see your worries about the extractions. Have you managed to ring your practice by now to see whether you can get the extractions anyway?

Thank you all.

Spoke to dentist. He wanted to be on the safe side and wait till the second trimester to get the extraction done. However.. only the broken wisdom and not the impacted tooth. And he also mentioned about waiting for the pregnancy to be over to do the Invisalign only because of the swelling of the gums during pregnancy etc.

So that means, my journey will have to be postponed for 9 Months. I did schedule for next month for the broken wisdom extraction. He said that tooth needs to come out before it starts hurting and causing me pain during pregnancy.

he then proceeded to tell me that my bottom right extraction is not healing as he was hoping it was. He said the gums are healing thin even with the bone graft and he’s not sure if he can put implants in. But that’s just for now.

so yes I am completely feeling bummed out and stressed and overwhelmed right now. Don’t get me wrong. I am very happy and excited about my pregnancy. But this just made me very depressed because I was doing so well on my journey....

Hello all. It’s been awhile since I last updated. A lot has happened since.

A week and a half ago I went in to get the broken wisdom tooth extracted. Being that I’m pregnant he needs to use novocaine that doesn’t give me adrenaline which wears off faster and supposedly not as strong. Three shots in and he proceeded to begin. He told me I would feel a lot of pressure, and I definitely did. He put a gauze in my mouth and told me to bite down and sat me up. I was like ... I’m done? And he’s like yup! It was an easy one. I never had a tooth extracted so fast in my life. No stitches and no pain. Didn’t need to take any pain killers at all.

Three days ago I developed such a severe toothache on my front tooth (#8) I quickly called my dentist to squeeze me in as I cannot handle the pain. I went in and only had to wait half an hour. He asked me what happened. And I said I’m not sure but I’m in a lot of pain. They performed an X-ray and turns out the tooth is inflamed and a root canal needs to be done. Again, have to be on the weaker novocaine. When he drilled the filling out, it was so painful I almost cried. I felt the whole procedure, more discomfort than pain. He told me the nerve completely died and there was a lot of bacteria. He cleaned it out after the root canal and did a temporary filling. I was prescribed antibiotics and I will be going back Monday to make sure all bacteria is gone and he will fill in the root and do permanent filling. I am currently still in pain but not as severe. Also soreness from the root canal around the gums and surrounding tooth.

To think that I called the dentist right away when I was in pain is something new. Even just last year If I was in pain i would just take pain killers and cry myself to sleep lol I’m thankful that I am so much braver now than I was before. I still get anxiety here and there before going but nothing like the past. I’m so thankful for this forum and for everyone tHat has read and follow my journey. I don’t post much, but I read about a lot of everyone’s journals here and it has really helped me overcome this fear. Thank you all again!

Wondering if people are still reading here

We are still here reading :) How are you doing Helpmex?

Glad to hear you are great. Time flies . :).

i got so much done the past year and a half.
I gave birth to a healthy baby boy last year in June. Got a cleaning done in September. More fillings were done (developed new cavities) I believe it was 3? Had a consultation with ortho. I am on a dual treatment plan. I’m currently with metal braces (top put on in feb and bottom put on in April) I got my wisdom tooth partially removed (roots were too closed to the nerves) and my impacted tooth removed in March. I have to gets TADS in a few months to lift two of my molars up. I should be done with metal braces by end of the year and then start Invisalign. That should take about a year. Once teeth are all aligned and spaces are made, implant procedures should be done. It is estimated to have 6 implants done but that could be changed depending on the movement of my teeth.

I see significant changes already with my bite and teeth. Braces are extremely annoying and not comfortable but I have no regrets because they are working. We are still required to wear masks at work so no one even knows I have braces on (besides my family and friends) I am feeling more confident to smile. I cannot wait to see the end results. I feel like I’m so so close but so far away.

reading back on my story I feel so proud of myself. To overcome my fear. And I hope it can be an inspiration for someone with dental phobia to finally overcome it. I’m not gonna lie, I still get worry here and there. But I’m no longer crying in pain, no longer ashamed. I’m happy. And I feel I can smile again. My only regret is I wish I could’ve done this sooner so I wouldn’t have lose so many teeth!

WOW. :) Well first off congratulations on the birth of your baby boy!! That is great! and all the work and progress you have made , you have certainly come a long way in your dental journey and are an inspriation to me as well as who knows how many others :)..

WOW. :) Well first off congratulations on the birth of your baby boy!! That is great! and all the work and progress you have made , you have certainly come a long way in your dental journey and are an inspriation to me as well as who knows how many others :)..

thank you so much !!!

Wondering if people are still reading here

Of course we are here reading, helpmex! There are people reading here on the forum and don't forget all the people who do not feel like replying or even registering here, but read it silently in the background :) there is a stranger out there who feels better today because they have read your story, don't forget that :)

Thanks for coming back and give us an update. Congratulations for your baby boy and happy first birthday! :love: hope you're both well! You have made a tremendous progress with your dental stuff I see :welldone: but what is even nicer to read is that you actually FEEL it and feel proud of yourself. :cloud9: That's the most beautiful outcome there could be. Conquering dental fear is not just about getting your teeth done, it's about learning to push yourself, to conquer difficulties and to grow and these skills and mindset can't be taken away from you.

Of course we are here reading, helpmex! There are people reading here on the forum and don't forget all the people who do not feel like replying or even registering here, but read it silently in the background :) there is a stranger out there who feels better today because they have read your story, don't forget that :)

Thanks for coming back and give us an update. Congratulations for your baby boy and happy first birthday! :love: hope you're both well! You have made a tremendous progress with your dental stuff I see :welldone: but what is even nicer to read is that you actually FEEL it and feel proud of yourself. :cloud9: That's the most beautiful outcome there could be. Conquering dental fear is not just about getting your teeth done, it's about learning to push yourself, to conquer difficulties and to grow and these skills and mindset can't be taken away from you.

Thank you so much! I agree. It’s such a great feeling.

Hi all. It’s been almost half a year since my last update so here’s what’s been going on!

I got 4 TADs (temporary anchor devices) done on my upper right side. For those who are not familiar they are pretty much tiny screws implanted onto my gums as an anchor. This was done by an oral surgeon. I was supposed to only go in for a consult but ended up getting the TADs done there and then. The old me would’ve been like no let’s make another appointment. But the new me said I’m here already let’s get it done! The whole process sounds scary, but it was not painful at all. I was referred to an amazing oral surgeon from my orthodontist. The only painful part was getting numbed. He has to put a needle near the roof of my mouth and that hurt a little. Other than that all I felt was pressure when he was screwing the TADs in. No pain afterwards only slight discomfort. Think of a big cankersore feeling. After a few days I felt nothing. It also looked pretty cool. Almost like I pierced my gums lol

I had an ortho appointment five days later and she wasted no time getting power chain hooked on the brackets to the TADs. I had to get two more brackets applied to the back of the two molars to lift it up. And yes that feeling of pressure pushing the teeth up is very uncomfortable.

I also had two small cavities done with NO novacaine! Call me crazy but my dentist said based on what I’ve been thru he doesn’t think I need it. I was hesitant at first but he asked to give it a try first and if anything he’ll numb me. But he was absolutely right. I didn’t feel a thing.

It’s been almost a year since I got my braces. Yes I can’t wait to take it off, but I also don’t want it off until everything is fixed. The original time plan was 18-24 months but with Invisalign too. I don’t know when the metal braces are coming off. But according to my ortho, my teeth are aligned. The only thing is the two molars to be lifted up to have enough space for implants on the bottom, and for my two molars on my bottom left to shift to the right to close up the small gap from a missing tooth. I was at my ortho two days ago and she said the two molars are moving up!

Well that is all the updates I have for now.

I just want to say that I no longer feel regret that I didn’t get this done sooner so I don’t have to go through this now. I feel more powerful that I have overcame this fear of the dentist. And I really really hope that my journal will help others overcome their fear. I do lurk around the forum and read other peoples journals and journey and it’s also a great inspiration. I feel very proud to tell my story and I’m really thankful for this forum because it helped me tremendously!

Until next time !

@helpmexthis is an amazing update! Good for you, you should be so proud of yourself hope you continue to update us.????

Back