• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

One month on, still trying to adjust

R

Robb

I had my top wisdom teeth extracted about a month ago (the lower ones were taken out when I was younger because they were impacted) and I was wondering if it was normal for the jaw bone where they were to feel really narrow. It feels like the holes are actually on the outer sides too. Worst of all I hate how my back teeth now just seem to drop off and have a sharp feeling edge to them. Will the bone build back up or is this how it will stay (or worse will the bone shrink even more?). The reason I had them out was because each one had a cavity and even though my regular dentist said he could fill them with no trouble the oral surgeon I talked to kind of pressured me into having them out. He kept saying they would be nothing but problems and hard to clean and that I needed to have them out. I thought it would be like when I had my lower ones out and I wouldn't even miss them, but of course my lower ones never came in to begin with. I had no idea how huge the space would be from having them out and I really wish I had kept them now and just had fillings done.

It's only been a month though, I'm hoping things will improve. In the meantime my bigger issue is the second top premolar I had to have out also. I've gotten used to it a little, it no longer feels like my cheek is getting pulled into the space all the time but it still feels really weird and I don't like chewing on that side yet. I've been reading about how a missing tooth can lead to bone loss and shifting of the other teeth so I'm kind of freaked out about that right now. I think an implant is the solution but just thinking about the long and expensive procedure is terrifying, makes me want to just crawl under the covers and ignore the whole thing.

I still need to make an appointment to have one more filling and a cleaning done but I'm having trouble doing it. I actually had the phone in my hand yesterday and put it back down, I just couldn't call. I'm so tired of being stressed over upcoming appointments and all the worries, I just want to put it all out of my mind and not think about it anymore. I know I need to get it done though before things get any worse; maybe I'll get someone to make the appointment for me. Feels kind of childish to have to do that though.

Robb,
You sound like me...I just had 4 wisdom teeth out and several infected teeth extracted..I have 8 left on bottom (i'm getting a partial) and I have one more to get out on tuesday..(I have 9 teeth on top).It had to be done but it takes time to heal and get used to all the new spaces...After I get the last tooth pulled I have 4 fillings that need to be done..I don't want to do them either...I just want to be done..But I've done so much already I might as well get it all done..Right now i seem to be having an issue with the top front tooth ! It is kinds stinging and burning ...So I need to call the dentist for an appointment for monday if I can get one..So it kinda never ends..I think it takes a while for teeth to shift..Maybe a dentist can answer that one...It will be okay...

Back