• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

one time appointment for a crown

C

carlee

I read an ad that stated that it only takes one app't to complete a crown. I think
the ad said it was done with a digital scan. Does this mean there is no full mouth
impression/ yucky stuff used in the mouth now for impressions? Thanks.

The dentist is most likely using a CAD/CAM (computer aided design, computer aided manufacturing) system like cerec or e4d. He/she prepares the crown like normal, takes a picture of the preparation, designs the crown chairside, and the crown is milled in the office at the same visit. With cerec there is a powder they have to spray on the tooth to help the camera capture the image, but you are correct that a "conventional" impression does not need to be taken.

That's good info. Is the spray they use a natural material? I'm always concerned they
will spray or use something toxic that will cause me to have a seizure. Thanks.

The powder is titanium dioxide. Only a thin layer is needed for a good image. It's only required with CEREC. E4D does not use a powder.

Back