• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

One week after tooth extraction - could this be an issue?

V

vlgee

Hi,

I had two upper molars removed 8 days ago. Everything seems to be doing okay except the last two days I've had a strange taste in my mouth in that area, and today when I've done my salt water rinses, small clumps of a thick cream colored goo comes out. Is this normal? Could I be losing bits of the clot?

I am afraid of getting dry socket. So far no pain, though.

Thank you!

Hi, I'm not a dentist but the bad taste and discharge would suggest to me an infection. Go back to see your dentist and he will give you a script for antibiotics and it should clear up in no time. Good luck!

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm actually still on antibiotics. My dentist prescribed Penicillin when he pulled them.

the risk of dry socket ends at one week. the risk is low to begin with and even lower in upper teeth. foul taste and cream colored clots are not blood. It does sound like infection setting in and occasionally something stronger than penicillin is needed especially if infection was already present before and if you had already been on penicillin.

Back