• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

One week post extraction....Extremely worried !!

Epal15

Epal15

Hello I hope Im posting this in the correct area.
exactly a week ago I had my lower left molar extracted as it had gotten infected and was painful.
after the extraction it bled but stopped after 5 hours,my main concern was avoiding dreaded dry socket,I was so happy everything was well and I made it past the window of getting it. Well yesterday I went to do groceries and all was well it was a lot of walkin and slight lifting but I seemed to be ok.
this morning I brushed away from the extraction site and did salt water rinse as I had been . I went back to work today at around 9am all seem well until 12 when I tasted blood and I noticed my extraction site was bleeding!!!! It looks like I just got the tooth extracted today ! I rinsed with salt water and still bleeding I came home and layed down and there's a trickle of blood there is no pain . What could have caused this? what can I do? Any advice would be greatly appreciated !! So worried!

Bite down on gauze for 30-60 minutes to dorm a new clot

Thanks ! I did that and that's what made the blood flow stop and turn into the trickle of blood.
Update::: Just checked and looks like a new clot has formed, I am in a bit of pain now and still seeping blood. Should I treat this as day 1 again? Ugh. Any help or suggestions appreciated!

I would treat it as day one again with a SUPER soaked gauze if it started bleeding again, so it won't stick to the clot.

When I swish anything, either to get gross taste out of my mouth or after "brushing" , I pour iced water/herbal tea in my mouth, tip my head back and make the shaking my head "no" shimmy, back and forth. Then I open my mouth and let it drain out instead of spitting it out. It looks really weird, but who cares?

I'd also take it super easy. Last night I noticed just by my moving around and bending over to search for the laptop charger cord that got lodged under a sofa leg, just that bit of strain - MAYBE 20 # lift for two seconds started a little but of bloody ooze in my mouth. These suckers want to sleep. So from here on out, I am walking to my car after work and walking inside to the couch and then to the bed. That's my weekend, to avoid the dry socket. We are all so scared of those, hehe.

I have a problem that feel like I suck too much when I swallow. I am petrified every time I swallow, so I am actually leaning my head back and letting the saliva collect in the back of my throat and pushing my tongue on the roof of my mouth to swallow to avoid that lower molar hole from any suction.

We turn into little weirdos with this tooth stuff.

Brandi, that is exactly how i am feeling about swallowing ugh ! Being super cautious and avoiding anything that may cause further delay Can't wait to be done with this. Hope your healing goes well !

How are you coming along? Any new pain? Bleeding stopped?

Mine is not painful, intermittent twinges of "oooh what is that" where the old tooth used to be. My guess is nerve endings getting used to talking to my brain because they can actually feel temperature and pressure fluctuations, now. I had a little bleeding yesterday morning, now all of the superficial clot is gone and that gray granulation tissue has filled the entire hole, almost, with darker crap under it which makes me super excited. I thought it was gross pus and am a picker of anything I think does not belong somewhere. Rather than grabbed tweezers, I grabbed my phone and asked the dentist about this weird whitish crap, and she said that is music to a hygienists ears when they hear a patient has developed that. (means healing is right on schedule, the clot will be absorbed, the granulation tissue helps the wound even out and healing is on the way)

I hope all is well for you.

Last night I was POSITIVE I had a dry socket. I was reminded by someone who did indeed have one that you never THINK you have a dry socket. You KNOW but the pain. So I think we are clear.

What little fussbudgets dental patients become. ;)

Last edited:
Careful with the gauze, I removed a clot from an extraction site because it formed to the gauze and when I removed the gauze, there it went. I recall my oral surgeon telling me to bite down on a wet tea bag and this would slow bleeding and help clotting. I can confirm it did.

I also did the weird side swallow, side drinking over the sink, etc for the first 3 days because I was so paranoid.

Brandi hello!
Thanks for checking on me very kind of you .
I'm glad you're healing well aside for the bleeding and little annoyances.
As for me I bled again yesterday ! I was able to get it to stop with biting on tea bag. It oozed all night but no pain. Today no bleeding Phew! Just a small little clot is visible and my gums seem to be pink and a little swollen around the extraction site, no granulated tissue as I had before I had the bleeding episode . Idk what is going on!
Today makes 9 days since the extraction but day 3 since the first bleeding episode on Wednesday! It's pretty frustrating, I hope no more bleeding occurs and I continue to heal. Definitely staying home this weekend .

It sounds like you may be starting over and who knows if you had that granulation tissue way down in the hole that you can't see. Yeah I think taking it easy is the best route. And it sounds like you don't have a dry socket since there is no mind blowing pain. Keep us updated as to how you are doing!!!!

Hello once again Brandi ! Well today Saturday there has been no bleeding and very little pain . The extraction site does look a little red and I'm still on soft foods as to not irritate anything and delay the healing even more ! So far two days in a row no bleeding ! I have been taking it very very easy tho, let's hope I continue to heal accordingly ! These teeth issues sure are something! Hope you are having a nice weekend.

More issues for me unfortunately and I have an upcoming appointment on Tuesday which I am terrified for. I haven't been to the dentist for a clean or checkup in 7 years, the extraction I received was through a different dentist and he did just that, the extraction.
After the bleeding episode (see previous post) things seemed to be going well but a week ago the tooth/gums next to the extraction site began to swell, not too painful but definitely uncomfortable. After a few home remedies and research the swelling has gone down a bit but I came to the conclusion that I need a cleaning and such to address a possible gum infection I assume .
I don't have insurance so i am mainly concerned with A, the price of what I may need as i am imagining the worst and B. Any recovery or complications and pain C. The embarrassment and anxiety of what the dentist is going to say. She's treated me once before 7 years ago and she also treats my children every 6 months.
I can't even sleep at night dreading this appointment. I'm so sick of having issues. I want it all to be over. :(

appointment today ahhh!

Almost time for my appointment. Completely nervous . :(

---update----
My appointment wasn't as bad as I feared the dentist was kind and assured me not to be embarrassed and I felt comfortable with her . I was still shaking and couldn't concentrate and I was a mess. She helped talked to me and assured me I would be fine.
As for treatments needed I need to have two old fillings removed and re done and she advised my two bottom wisdom teeth be removed as they are coming in the wrong way, they aren't causing me discomfort as of now . The more urgent treatment suggested was a deep cleaning / Scaling and tooth planning (as I feared because of pain and cost ) i agreed to that today, she did my left side and next week i am scheduled to do the other half of my mouth. It's going to be Expensive as money is tight but glad it will be done . X-rays also showed the extraction site is healing up nicely, slower than normal but surely she said.
As for the procedure itself she numbed me up and began to work, it was painful at some points but I raised my hand and she would stop let me relax and begin again over all it took 45/1 hour.
I am in pain and discomfort right now though. Suggestions ?

nerves have set in!

Well tomorrow is my second appointment to have my right side done for the scaling and root planing (deep cleaning )
I am a wreck and can't sleep. So nervous i don't know why, as I requested to have the same dentist treat me since she was so kind (there are two different dentist in the clinic) I guess I'm just worried something going wrong or her finding something else idk. Gonna TRY to sleep.

Back