• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

One week

S

sparklefairy

I psyched myself up to register with a new dentist after not going for 2 years following a crap experience with a root canal that put me off ever going to the dentist again. But I went and the new dentist was so understanding and gentle and really reassured me about going back.

I’ve got to have quite a deep filling/possible root canal on one of my upper molars next week and I’m terrified about the appointment. I’m very close to cancelling it because I really hate going and it’s not causing too much pain at the moment.

But I also think I’ve got a problem with the tooth that had the previous RTC as it’s been causing a lot of pain, as has one of my lower wisdom teeth - the pain has been so bad it’s keeping me up at night, even when taking sleeping tablets and regular pain meds.

Can I just ask the dentist next week or should I try get an appointment this week? I hate feeling like I’m wasting peoples time. But I’m also terrified that they’re going to say both of the teeth causing pain need to come out because that is my biggest dental related fear.

Hi,

It is wonderful you respect the dentists time. I’m the other hand, sometimes it is needed to invest the time to find the right diagnose treatment plan. It goes without saying, I would not rush to conclusions. Here is a video which might be useful in that sense:
Dental worrying

In addition, a root canal treatment in a lower molar can be painful. I talk about this issue in this video:
How to prevent painful drilling

Hope it helps.

Back