• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Ongoing dental problems....

L

Lpf

I've had 5 appointments at my previous dentist to get to the bottom of 2 problems teeth only to realise, he clearly doesn't know what he's doing.

Ive vey recently seen a new, excellent dentist who straight away found decay around an old lower filling that my previous dentist said was nothing wrong and found my previous dentist did a bad filling on my other molar and left an big area of decay underneath the filling which he said I needed extracting because I was still having pain.....

Anyway, I had the first tooth looked at 5 days ago. Large filling with a small area of decay next to it that he removed, cleaned it all out, put a sedative layer and another layer that released something good (!) and then the filling and felt it should be fine. After the general injection and jaw pain subsided I realised my tooth still hurt :(. I've tentatively tried to eat on it but I get biting pain and tooth ache after. It's a tad sensitive but not greatly.

Im going back in a week for my other filling to be redone so I'll talk to the dentist then obviously but should I steal myself for this tooth not being saved? Does it just need longer to heal?

It's been 3 months of ongoing pain and repeat dentist visits and I'm so tired of it. I've put a complaint in about my previous dentist too.

You have my sympathies :shame: There's nothing like finding yourself in the chair over and over again. You start to think, "Will this procedure even work?" after you are stuck in a world of pain.

I had three deep cavities and the dentist I was seeing at the time did the fillings. They never felt right, particularly this one which bothered me too much to even eat with. Well about a year later I developed an abscess. I just had the root canal performed today (which was not bad at all!) and it wasn't even on the tooth that bothered me, but another one....crazy, right? It's quite likely I'm in for a series of root canals before it's all said and done.

So it sounds to me like maybe the tooth you had filled is going to require a root canal. If it does, fear not. Root canals are a piece of cake ;D

I hope you feel better. It's all going to be okay even though I'm sure it doesn't seem like it right now. I totally relate to your frustration. Just hang in there! At least now you're going to a dentist you have confidence in, and that's half the battle right there :)

It could very well be that the filling just needs to be adjusted -- a very simple fix if that is the case. It may be worth trying to get an urgent appointment this week of you are able as, in my experience, the pain usually just gets worse. I've only had one filling that needed adjusting, but the pain prior to the adjustment was so bad that I wanted to yank the tooth out myself. Adjusting the filling is very quick and can make a huge difference if that is the problem. I've had pain requiring RCTs, and I can honestly say that the pain was about the same -- so it's difficult to tell how serious the problem is just from the amount of pain.

It could be a more serious problem, but I'm trying to think positively for you!

Thank you.

The first tooth actually started to heal after I wrote this and was pretty much back to normal by the time I had my second filling done.

The second filling was done 4 days ago and I'm in excruciating agony. Throbbing, aching etc. My tooth feels like it expands periodically and my bite changes (but other times my bite is fine, it was like this pre-filling too) - I've taken so many pain pills I'm rattling, can't sleep, in tears etc.

What worries me even more is that my bottom tooth has started hurting just after the second filling was done (it was fine before) periodic throbbing and aching through the tooth jaw and surrounding areas. I don't understand how a filling in my upper jaw can cause a relapse of a lower tooth (they are opposing teeth)

I'm hoping to get an emergency appointment tomorrow although he's not going to be able to perform a RCT there and then. Then I'm back at work and I've had so many medical appointments for dentists already (8 appointments in 3-4 months), I'm not allowed any more and I've no annual leave left so I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm so frustrated and upset. I'm terrified of dentists and especially injections and the pain after that this is really affecting me badly and I can't sleep, eat, I can't even drink lukewarm water without setting the pain off - so I feel ill and very low :cry:

Lets see... recent filling and pain issues... don't tell me. Was it the tooth colored composite stuff dentists are using more often then the old fashioned silver colored fillings? if so, you're not alone. Stupid composite seems to be causing issues w/ more then one person here. I had a couple fillings at some point in june and i'm having cold sensitivity problems from one of the things.

I went in 1 time for a bite adjustment but that only solved the problem for a couple days, if that. Am currently in a position where I can't eat or drink cold stuff w/o being in fear of cold sensitivity problems and came close to doubling over in pain last night. I made the mistake of not watching where I bit down on a chocolate covered ice cream bar that i had eaten most of the chocolate coating off of since I needed 2 hands to right out a post online. And yes I did eat the rest of the bar too so no one try to start anything please. I'll have rare occasions where it leaves but then its back! I know that I really should go back in to deal with that and an issue i'm having with my upper partial but I've thinking about just given up on the battle of the teeth.

After a deep cleaning, 2 rounds of extractions, partials, fillings, 3 adjustments for the upper, 2 lower adjustements and molds and getting new ones, and on going problems with the upper partial, it being really hard for me to eat with the things in, and cold sensitivity; I actually thing i'm WORSE of then b4 all this started!

Well I went in this morning for an emergency appointment and he did the best part of a root canal. I struggled to get numb which is my biggest fear (had a cesarean which went wrong when I felt them cut me...).

Anyway he had to inject inside my tooth which hurt, I won't lie, but nothing hurt after that! He said there was no infection, just a lot of swelling of the nerve and some blood. He took lots of X-rays as he was going a long and lots of clearing the roots out (3 very striaght roots which helped I think)

I was convinced I'd be in agony after but I'm not. Bit of a bruising, dull ache type feeling and a headache from little sleep / food / drink over the last 48hrs and too many painkillers but I'm so relieved not to have extreme toothache anymore.

Also so the pain in my lower tooth has gone completely - dentist said it was referred pain but I didn't believe him - he was right!

thanks for advice here - didn't think I'd get through it but I did x