Ongoing tooth and facial pain for 2 months

K

KellyR

Hi there. I am running out of hope. 2 months ago I had 2 extractions, my 2nd to back molar was decayed under my filling , unfortunately the dentist couldn’t see this on the x Ray and told me the tooth looked fine. I was having pain in the tooth upon chewing and knew it wasn’t right. Anyway, the next day after my check up the tooth really ramped up and I had to have it taken out as an emergency, when the emergency dentist took it out it was badly decayed underneath the filling. That extraction was straight forward and I had no issues with the healing. However my second tooth my first premolar was also sensitive upon eating and the dentist saw on the x Ray that it had a cavity underneath the filling which needed to be treated. So I booked to have the white filling replaced. This was done , and my tooth never ever settles down. It would hurt all day and I thought it would eventually settle down. Unfortunately it didn’t. And it got to the stage where it was keeping me awake and I had to take pain killers to try and help it. The pain got worse and I made an appointment to see my dentist again. He examined the tooth and said that the nerve of the tooth was quite close to the filling, he couldn’t se anything on the x Ray, but because he said the same thing 2 weeks before about the back molar , that he couldnt see anything wrong , even though the tooth turned out to be which badly decayed under the filling, I asked him what I could do about the pain? He said that he could remove the white filling and place some sort of numbing cream in there, but the couldn’t promise it would helped, So I then asked him what would happen if it didn’t settle , and he said I would have to be referred for a root canal. So I decided that because of the past experience with the x Ray and the dentist not being able to see the decay , I asked him to remove the tooth. The pain was too bad to put up with and I couldn’t bear it starting back up again. So he removed my tooth which was straight forward. Then I developed a dry socket which was the worst pain I have ever experienced in my life. I had the dry socket packed twice over a few days and it very slowly began to heal. But ever since the second extraction I have had jaw pains, shooting pain up my jaw, it started only on the right side of my face which is where I had the 2 extractions, then I developed clicking in my temporal joint, and a slight crackling sound sometimes in my right ear when I Open and close my mouth. Now the pain is also on the right side of my face. Sometimes as far as my cheek bone , my teeth have also become sensitive and I keep getting like an electric sock feeling in random teeth in my mouth. My dentist said that he doesn’t know what is causing the pain and has referred me to the maxo facial department at the hospital. I didn’t eat on the right side of my mouth for nearly 6 weeks due to the extraction site healing. And I’m still only really eating on my left side as I only have 1 bottom tooth on the right side. The zings in my teeth come and go and are not brought on by anything. I have had to start wearing a mouth guard as I have severe grinding and have damaged my teeth. I am at a loss as to what is going on? I have had to start back on antidepressants because my dentist said that I am being overly sensitive and looking for any little pain in my teeth. It has severely affected my mental health. I am terrified that there is something wrong with all of my teeth and that they are all going to have to be removed. I am sorry if this post is rambling , but I am incredibly anxious and feeling suicidal as I don’t think I’m ever going to be normal again. I also asked my dentist this week about getting a partial denture until I can consider an implant at a later date, but he said he doesn’t want to do anything yet , but I can’t eat on the right side of my mouth , which is forcing me to chew or try to chew on my left side. It’s been 2 months since the last extraction? Surely I could have a partial denture? Thank you to anyone who reads this. Any advice would be hugely appreciated. Thank you so much. Kelly.

M

MountainMama

I had a similar experience, except I went the root canal route, and it failed, so then I had to have extractions done.
Be careful about having any more work done before they figure out what the deal is. I was diagnosed with atypical facial pain only after having four teeth extracted. Two of them definitely needed to come out, as one was abscessed from a childhood injury and the other a broken molar. The other two molars were most likely fine, just hurting from the AFP, as the dentist, endodontist and surgeon couldn’t find anything wrong with them, and basically extracted them because there was nothing else to do at that point after a root canal failed and then I just wanted them out because I was tired of the pain. Taking them out did take away the tooth pain because it is gone but I still get pain in my jaw and face.

K

KellyR

Hi there ☺️ I hope you are well. Many thanks for your reply. So Sorry to hear you have atypical facial pain 😣 I’ve been left completely perplexed by what has happened and feel like I am going insane as I just don’t know what is causing this ongoing issue with my face and teeth. I have been terrified that I have trigeminal neuralgia 🥺 but the pain isn’t brought on by touch or any stimulus. I’ve no idea how long the referral to the maxo facial unit will take , especially with the covid scenario. I have an appointment in a few weeks time at a different private dentist for a second option as I feel like I’m losing my mind and my current dentist thinks I’m being over sensitive. My life has been turned upside down this last two months. Do you take any medication to manage your pain ? Thank you so much for your reply. It means a lot to speak to someone about this ☺️☺️☺️

M

MountainMama

Hi there ☺ I hope you are well. Many thanks for your reply. So Sorry to hear you have atypical facial pain 😣 I’ve been left completely perplexed by what has happened and feel like I am going insane as I just don’t know what is causing this ongoing issue with my face and teeth. I have been terrified that I have trigeminal neuralgia 🥺 but the pain isn’t brought on by touch or any stimulus. I’ve no idea how long the referral to the maxo facial unit will take , especially with the covid scenario. I have an appointment in a few weeks time at a different private dentist for a second option as I feel like I’m losing my mind and my current dentist thinks I’m being over sensitive. My life has been turned upside down this last two months. Do you take any medication to manage your pain ? Thank you so much for your reply. It means a lot to speak to someone about this ☺☺☺
My dentist didn’t really understand it either. He didn’t come out and say I was over sensitive but I could tell he just wanted to get me in and out and when he couldn’t see a problem his solution was to crown the teeth for a possible crack. Which then led to irreversible pulpitis (or so we thought) so out they came.
My oral surgeon luckily got me right in and said that there was nothing physically wrong but that he believed I was in pain, and told me to see my GP about going to a neurologist. He tentatively diagnosed with atypical facial pain, and said the neurologist could confirm after looking at the nerve. I had to have an MRI done.
It does help to have a diagnosis so that I know I am not crazy.
I do not take medication. The neurologist said that he only recommends medication for the most severe cases where there is constant pain that makes you unable to work, sleep or have any quality of life. Otherwise the side effects can be worse than the AFP. I have learned to live with it, knowing that every pain does not mean my teeth are failing.

letsconnect

letsconnect

Administrator
Staff member
I have had to start back on antidepressants because my dentist said that I am being overly sensitive and looking for any little pain in my teeth.

Just... wow o_O. Perhaps time to look for another dentist?

K

KellyR

My dentist didn’t really understand it either. He didn’t come out and say I was over sensitive but I could tell he just wanted to get me in and out and when he couldn’t see a problem his solution was to crown the teeth for a possible crack. Which then led to irreversible pulpitis (or so we thought) so out they came.
My oral surgeon luckily got me right in and said that there was nothing physically wrong but that he believed I was in pain, and told me to see my GP about going to a neurologist. He tentatively diagnosed with atypical facial pain, and said the neurologist could confirm after looking at the nerve. I had to have an MRI done.
It does help to have a diagnosis so that I know I am not crazy.
I do not take medication. The neurologist said that he only recommends medication for the most severe cases where there is constant pain that makes you unable to work, sleep or have any quality of life. Otherwise the side effects can be worse than the AFP. I have learned to live with it, knowing that every pain does not mean my teeth are failing.
Thank you for sharing your experience, it means a great deal to me to be able to talk to someone with a similar experience. Again, so sorry for your pain, it really does impact your quality of life. I am hoping to hear from the hospital soon regarding my referral, and hopefully I will get some answers as to what exactly has happened. Thank you so much again. Take care. Kindest regards. Kelly. ☺️☺️☺️

K

KellyR

Just... wow o_O. Perhaps time to look for another dentist?
Thank you for your reply 😊 I am going to have a second opinion in a few weeks with a private dentist. I am now feeling like I am completely paranoid and that I am imagining all these issues. I feel that My dentist really doesn’t want to deal with my problems and I have become a nuisance to him 😞 even though before the extractions and dry socket I never had any problems at all so I really am at a loss 😓 😣

letsconnect

letsconnect

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think you're being paranoid, it all sounds very real. Please let us know how you get on with the second opinion!

Enarete

Enarete

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi KellyR,

just read your post and I have to say I am very impressed that you still call that guy "my dentist". I see how what happened with the first tooth which had decay under the filling affected your trust to a point of not being able to believe him when he says (like with the other tooth) that there is no issue, and that in my opinion is a profound thing that makes things difficult. I was also shocked to see that 1) your dentist decided you were oversensitive and needed antidepressants (did the dentist encouraged you to take them?) 2) he doesn't want to provide you with a partial, although YOU want one. So at this point I am wondering who is the provider and who is the customer. I was wondering whether changing a dentist and found someone who takes you seriously and works on your terms may be a start. Hope the private dentist will treat you respectfully and make your feel like they are on your side.

When it comes to antidepressants, I hope they are helping overall to deal with the stress and also hope you have a mental health professional to chat to along the way. Meds work the best together with counseling, but it's not always done that way. The comment of your dentist about you being oversensitive and your taking of meds as a result of that (gosh, this grabbed me so much, I can't stop commenting on it) - if there is any suspicion that a pain may come from the psyche, the right way to go about it is to rule out any physical issue, so before saying "it's in your head", you would have to have the opinion of at least the maxo facial or the neurologist. Just the opinion of your dentist is not enough. You are not imagining these issues.

It is very unlikely that you will lose all your teeth. I see how the experience with those two teeth makes it look like whatever pain you have, it will lead to exactly that, but this won't happen. If you can, keep reminding yourself of this. I know it's hard if you are so much in pain and had so many bad experiences, but our minds love to catastrophise. Also, your fear about something doesn't make the something being more likely.

I really hope you have some kind supporting people around you, someone you can talk to and get support from in this situation. In any case we are here to listen, so feel free to write as much as you like, no post is too long (which I probably just demonstrated ).

Lots of love, hang in there and take care

K

KellyR

Hi KellyR,

just read your post and I have to say I am very impressed that you still call that guy "my dentist". I see how what happened with the first tooth which had decay under the filling affected your trust to a point of not being able to believe him when he says (like with the other tooth) that there is no issue, and that in my opinion is a profound thing that makes things difficult. I was also shocked to see that 1) your dentist decided you were oversensitive and needed antidepressants (did the dentist encouraged you to take them?) 2) he doesn't want to provide you with a partial, although YOU want one. So at this point I am wondering who is the provider and who is the customer. I was wondering whether changing a dentist and found someone who takes you seriously and works on your terms may be a start. Hope the private dentist will treat you respectfully and make your feel like they are on your side.

When it comes to antidepressants, I hope they are helping overall to deal with the stress and also hope you have a mental health professional to chat to along the way. Meds work the best together with counseling, but it's not always done that way. The comment of your dentist about you being oversensitive and your taking of meds as a result of that (gosh, this grabbed me so much, I can't stop commenting on it) - if there is any suspicion that a pain may come from the psyche, the right way to go about it is to rule out any physical issue, so before saying "it's in your head", you would have to have the opinion of at least the maxo facial or the neurologist. Just the opinion of your dentist is not enough. You are not imagining these issues.

It is very unlikely that you will lose all your teeth. I see how the experience with those two teeth makes it look like whatever pain you have, it will lead to exactly that, but this won't happen. If you can, keep reminding yourself of this. I know it's hard if you are so much in pain and had so many bad experiences, but our minds love to catastrophise. Also, your fear about something doesn't make the something being more likely.

I really hope you have some kind supporting people around you, someone you can talk to and get support from in this situation. In any case we are here to listen, so feel free to write as much as you like, no post is too long (which I probably just demonstrated ).

Lots of love, hang in there and take care
Hi there. Thank you ever so much for your kind words, and thank you for taking the time to post your response it really is hugely appreciated. This last 11 weeks have been really awful. I am seeing a private dentist on the 13th august and hoping for some reassurance that I am not going completely mad and imagining these pains and issues. I am incredibly anxious still about having any further treatment done, I know I have small chipped filling in an upper tooth which my current dentist has postponed treating for 4 weeks. I am very anxious about getting it replaced as the last white filling i paid to have replaced ended up never settling and subsequently was the second extraction which caused all these issues. Sadly the tooth itself only had a small cavity in it, but the pain was unbearable and after 2 weeks of perseverance, I had to have it taken out, as I was told that I could try a root canal, but he couldn’t guarantee that it wouldn’t fail, and with that in mind I opted for the extraction 🙁 The dentist said that he thought the nerve was close to the top of the filling ? And that’s why it was settling. Obviously I have no idea of the anatomy of the tooth and it’s nerves etc, so I imagined being in constant pain for the foreseeable future and opted for the extraction. Thank you all so much for your compassion and understanding, it means so much when you are at a very dark place and feel very much alone in trying to figure out what had gone wrong, I will update you as soon as I have seen the new dentist in august. I have also stopped the antidepressants after nearly a month as they were making me feel very strange and my anxiety was getting worse. Thanks everyone. Take care and stay safe. Kindest regards. Kelly ☺️☺️☺️ X