• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Open Bite and Adult Braces

J

Jen615

Hi!
I am hoping one of the dentists on this board can help me, as I won't see my own dentist until April.
I just went back to the dentist after decades of avoidance and fear. I need a couple of fillings and a couple of crowns, nothing horrible. However, I will also need to be referred to an orthodontist. I suspect I should have had braces as a kid, but doubt my parents were able to afford them.
One issue is no big deal-I have a gap between my front teeth (does not really bother me) and a bit of crowding in my lower teeth.
Bigger problem is, I have an open bite. My top and bottom teeth do not touch. I never really thought about this before, as I don't have any of the problems this is supposed to cause. I can eat just fine, don't speak with a lisp, no jaw pain.
It WAS a bit embarrassing when the dental assistant had to use a pediatric bite wedge for x-rays!
I will likely be referred to an orthodontist. I am a bit worried that braces won't fix this, since I am in my late forties. I don't think the surgery is an option for me-we are talking breaking and re-aligning the jaw and months off of work. I just changed careers and I also simply can't afford to do this. I am also a competitive runner and don't want to be an invalid with my partner spoon-feeding me.
I know I would need to be examined to get a real answer, but would love to hear from a dentist!
1. How likely is it this can be fixed in an adult without horrible surgery? Again, this ISN'T an option. Perfect teeth are not worth my whole life. I speak normally and eat normally.
2. How could this happen? Both of my parents have sworn up and down I barely sucked my thumb as an infant, much less after my adult teeth came in. I DID bite my nails. I do not seem to have a hideously deformed jaw. I was not premature. Apparently this only happens in 0.6% of people-so I am a big genetic freak? My face does appear normal.
I am happy I went back to the dentist, but now I am sooo insecure about my stupid teeth! Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Most people with AOB manage perfectly well with it, so long as you're not having any symptoms then I wouldn't worry about it. If you don't want to have treatment, then don't...

1) Can't say without seeing you and I'm emphatically not an orthodontist!
2) Bad luck, just a throw of the genetic dice.

J

Jen615

Thanks Gordon-this does make me feel better! I have a free consult with a orthodontist who says she can probably get Invisalign to help me. I am happy to give that a try, but the surgery sounds horrible. Cheers!