• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Options for abscesses when allergic to many antibiotics?

K

K.M

Hi, I have a serious issue with (too) many antibiotics; bad allergies. These have been precribed for teeth abcesses.
Amoxcillan (nausea including nasty rare reaction of hallucinations and manic thoughts), Augumentin (vomiting), Cefaclor (vomiting), Erythromycin and all in same class (tongue swelling), Ciprofloxacin and all in same class (interactions with current medications), Flagyll (tongue swelling) and can not take sulphur based medications (allergic reaction).
I am at a loss at to what can be prescribed next and there is great fear of any further "trialling" antibiotics due to serious adverse and allergic effects....
Are there any other antibiotic options for teeth abcess and periodental disease? Please help/advise; desperate.
Have tried alternatives such as garlic, increasing vitamin c, co enzyme q10, ginger, colloidal silver.
On waiting list for general anaesthetic operation to remove very loose retained right lower baby molar and top right front tooth- these upcoming issues are enough by themselves.
But right now need advice please re repeated, ongoing infections.
Can only eat left side for the last seven months and can not bite into anything, been on codeine and panadein prn for last seven months also. A catch 22 situation; disabling at present and unwell, upcoming surgery-can not face or the aftermath.
Thankyou in advance.

You need to see a proper allergist, any answers we could give on here will be dangerously uninformed, sorry.

K.M.

Just wanted to say, I so feel for you to be caught in such a situation.. agh. :(. I really hope someone can get you some answers soon! Sorry its not much more than empathy and thoughts here but I sure hope you get relief soon!!!

Do not take colloidal silver. It has no positive systemic effects.

Do not take colloidal silver. It has no positive systemic effects.
What would you suggest as a natural alternative to C.S? In case I have not tried other known alternatives for infections.

You need to see a proper allergist, any answers we could give on here will be dangerously uninformed, sorry.
Thankyou, can appreciate what you are saying.
It is a very fustrating situation; the ongoing infections and the waiting time for surgery.

K.M.

Just wanted to say, I so feel for you to be caught in such a situation.. agh. :(. I really hope someone can get you some answers soon! Sorry its not much more than empathy and thoughts here but I sure hope you get relief soon!!!
Thankyou for your reply. I find it helpful to read through the forum. It does lessen isolation with dental fears, knowing I am not alone with these; from afar.

As challenging as this is to even type out; I need to ask the dentists a couple of important questions.
With regards to the top right front tooth extraction: what is the Least invasive and "permanent" replacement. It is both cosmetic, mental health concerns and more importantly I can not have anything artificial in the mouth (due to previous multiple traumas). Do I have to go toothless?
With regards to the lower right retained baby molar extraction: I will only have one molar left on that side and no upper in same area. What are the options or will it be okay to have no replacement of any sort, again is it a case of being toothless?
Please note I have osteoporosis caused by long term medications therefore tooth implant is not an option, due to significant bone loss. The periodental disease has been aggravated by same long term medications.
Feeling very upset (due to significant losses which sets off other traumas and then the phobia deepens in going ahead with surgery, creating a cycle and at times dissociated suicidal thoughts) and obviously I am not in a great way, physically with very mobile couple of teeth, infections.
Yet logic says if/when I go ahead with surgery I will not have to deal with ongoing repeated infections and health overall should improve.
Its very very challenging, both the here and now and the near future implications re extractions.
Thankyou for replies, very much appreciated.

KM,

"Please note I have osteoporosis caused by long term medications therefore tooth implant is not an option, due to significant bone loss. The periodental disease has been aggravated by same long term medications. "

Just want to say , I also have Osteoperosis. now I was just diagnosed with it about a year and a half ago and when discussing medications I remembered about medications and and dental so I held off and am doing supplements. Until I can get Forteo/Tymlus approved which is not as of yet. I went to my previous dentist just to ask him , as he works with an implant company that does all on 4s , pretty much all they do. and he said. Kelly even if you had taken the biphosphinates there are still options to have implants in alot of cases, you have to be extremely careful in the surgery but it is doable many times. He did a ct scan and told me I was a good candidate, though I couldn't afford the all on 4s at the moment, my current dentist gave me a good financial plan and I'm doing some implants with him and we are doing it all now so I can start my medications after the surgeries. I'm still alittle nervous but after 20 years of bottom partials and a little hope , I went for it. The partials did serve me well and were alot better than my teeth were before. But with technology now a days, things just might be possible?

I can see how these questions and thoughts and things you are going through are very challenging. I'm really so glad you are here ! It all can seem so overwhelming . We are here for you and hope you continue to get some good advice from dentists on here too!

Least invasive and permanent replacement would be an adhesive bridge, AKA a Maryland bridge, if you were suitable for one.

KM,

"Please note I have osteoporosis caused by long term medications therefore tooth implant is not an option, due to significant bone loss. The periodental disease has been aggravated by same long term medications. "

Just want to say , I also have Osteoperosis. now I was just diagnosed with it about a year and a half ago and when discussing medications I remembered about medications and and dental so I held off and am doing supplements. Until I can get Forteo/Tymlus approved which is not as of yet. I went to my previous dentist just to ask him , as he works with an implant company that does all on 4s , pretty much all they do. and he said. Kelly even if you had taken the biphosphinates there are still options to have implants in alot of cases, you have to be extremely careful in the surgery but it is doable many times. He did a ct scan and told me I was a good candidate, though I couldn't afford the all on 4s at the moment, my current dentist gave me a good financial plan and I'm doing some implants with him and we are doing it all now so I can start my medications after the surgeries. I'm still alittle nervous but after 20 years of bottom partials and a little hope , I went for it. The partials did serve me well and were alot better than my teeth were before. But with technology now a days, things just might be possible?

I can see how these questions and thoughts and things you are going through are very challenging. I'm really so glad you are here ! It all can seem so overwhelming . We are here for you and hope you continue to get some good advice from dentists on here too!
You are very brave. Thankyou for the alternative vision. Unfortunately at this time, I can not afford implants. Have an update which I will type out soonish (below).

Least invasive and permanent replacement would be an adhesive bridge, AKA a Maryland bridge, if you were suitable for one.
Thankyou very much from afar, you are correct. Have an update which I will type out soonish (below).

Update. And would like thoughts, opinions and support please, as best as able given this is a typing forum.
I have seen the dentist. This took courage and it went as well as could be; took some diazapam beforehand. It was for a check to see where things are at physically and a plan moving forward.
These are the outcomes:
General anaesethetic confirmed and one or more nights in hospital.
While under G.A:
Extraction of lower deciduous molar tooth.
Extraction of upper front tooth.
Full dental examination, including xrays, periodental probing, scaling, two fillings-these will be the first two ever at age nearly 49.
She said overall the other teeth are in good condition given health etc.
I have not two baby teeth, but four (all molars; top and bottom, both sides), I did not know there were four. As she said they should have been out by age 12. I am 48, 49 in July. Two upper baby molars were extracted in my thirties.
With regards to the one that needs to be extracted, she is questioning if there is an interrelation between the impact of being assaulted, (directly in same area by the offender) may have iniatally caused injury at the time and over the years there has been further deteriation; as the other baby molar tooth on opposite side is good.
She has suggested possible bonding of an artificial tooth in the place of the soon to be extracted upper front tooth. She has said she needs to do some research with this. Tooth implant were briefly mentioned, but as I said to her, I can not afford.
She is also going to look at what other antibiotics can be taken, given the complex nature with many others (either allergic or nasty side effects). It is likely to need them between now and surgery.
Surgery may be in six weeks or three months. Its an unknown right now. as you can see there needs to be further research by her and therefore I am hoping much fuller clarity. It feels a bit "limbo'ish".
Questions....
**How common is it to have baby teeth (four molars) as an adult and two are still there at age nearly 49, with one is in good condition (nothing wrong with it, still stable etc).
**Could an assault with the direct physical impact cause intial injury that has deteriated over the years? (Note/ there was No dental check at the time of assault while in hospital, but there was huge swelling same side of face) Injuries sustained were brain, elbow broken in two places, whiplash and loss of right peripheral vision-same side. I t does appear to be a coincidence that the other baby molar on opposite side is in good health.
Not sure how I am feeling about all of this, numb and waves of fear currently.

Last edited:
1: Quite common actually, humans seem to be moving genetically to having less adult teeth, so if there is no adult replacement, the baby teeth can be retained for a long time, but see below...

2: Maybe, does seem a coincidence but retained baby teeth do occasionally "self destruct" for no real reason, so it could be that. Hard to say for sure.

1: Quite common actually, humans seem to be moving genetically to having less adult teeth, so if there is no adult replacement, the baby teeth can be retained for a long time, but see below...

2: Maybe, does seem a coincidence but retained baby teeth do occasionally "self destruct" for no real reason, so it could be that. Hard to say for sure.
Thankyou kindly for your reply.

Update and very important question....
Haven't been coping very well, re dental care needed under G.A. It is taking its toll mentally.
Have any of the dentists here worked with patients that have PTSD And D.I.D. If you have experience with dissociative identity disorder and dental medical treatments, what has been your approach before, during and after treatment. Any useful tips etc please?
From a very frightened "more than one". Any dental and gynae surgery is overwhelmingly distressing (and complicated given dx's). Thankyou in advance.

Update. Still waiting for surgery (last contact with dentist was that they were needing to get more mental health information, re surgery distressing and complicated/D.I.D, with a previous gyna surgery, dissociated and "came to" away from house, middle of the night and bleeding, in pain). Dentist has also said bonding cant be done on the top front one as it is only a temporary cosmetic solution And cannot be redone each time with a G.A (likely funding, as its the public system). They empathise with not being able to have anything artificial in the mouth. Toothless is the only option.
The teeth of concern are looser. Can only eat on left side and the top front loose one "grates" against the one next to it-very nasty sensation. Its gotten to the point of very little eating. As they have become much looser, further flashbacks, when someone threatened to pull teeth out by pliars if I ever spoke of harm done by them. Hate this physical situation being a constant trigger of multiple traumas and mood is way way down, dont know what to do.
Constant triggers with teeth being loose, constant infections and pus, Or...
(top front) Toothless.
Very, very bad situation, catch 22.
Through no fault of my own, due to the previous traumas inflicted.
Very alone and socially isolated as well as withdrawing from any social contact and dont know what to do and dont know anyone else that has gone through similar with teeth and trauma.
Hopeless situation??

Back