• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Options

D

Decisions?

Hi. Really like reading this site, helps knowing I'm not the only one in this. Just looking for some thoughts on my situation, see what others think. I have gone to a new dentist after an extensive time of not seeing one because one of my front teeth broke off. I'm blessed in that while sensitive it is not painful at this time. After an exam they tell me I need several crowns and multiple fillings. They did a lot of x-rays including the one that goes all around your head and a cleaning. I saw the x-rays and pictures they took so feel confident they know what they are talking about. Up front like many others here finances are a concern, so will have to do things in stages. The front teeth is what I'm really looking for input on. They explained implants, along with cost but say they will last me on out. I am pushing 50. Also they are talking a 4-6 tooth bridge possibly. These are my top teeth we are speaking of. He point blank said there is no saving my front two.The one on either side of them, he says will need to go eventually as well. The next one over on either side are both crowned already. Talking of working them into a bridge as well. These crowns are 20 years old.Lots of info.Would appreciate any feedback on these options. Thanks.

After an exam they tell me I need several crowns and multiple fillings

Not a dentist, so just an opinion of a lay person, but I keep wondering, how did you move from crowns and multiple fillings to extractions and also what exactly does it mean that some teeth will need to go eventually as well - how and whem will your dentist be able to tell wether they have to go or not? If a tooth is beyond saving, then you should understand why. It also makes no sense to plan a replacement of missing teeth if you do not have clear information about what teeth will be missing. :dunno:Also, there is quite a way from an extraction to an implant so I would be interested in any plan about what to do in the meantime.

If I were you, I would seek a second opinion before letting any teeth go and would pay attention to what the reasons for an extraction are. It is important that you understand what is going on in your mouth and what your options are.

Thanks for your reply Enareta,caution is a good thing when unsure of your choices. To clarafy some, the crowns and fillings are for other teeth,not the top front ones where the bridge, implants, etc will be needed. The reason for the extraction is that tooth 8 has broken off and the part left is bad. The next one tooth 9 is also not good, missing enamel with decay.These two I was told can not be saved. One decision I am looking at is they are proposing removing teeth 7 and 10 as well and replacing all four with a bridge or implants. They say if I keep 7 and I0 they would need root canals and crowns as well. Also proposed removing teeth 6 and 11, which already has long term crowns and putting in a 6 tooth bridge. The reason for this is they say there are signs of early decay around the existing crowns. I am not much considering removing 6 and 11. I am new to a lot of this, hope this explains somewhat better. Was mainly trying to weigh bridge vs implants.Appreciate your time and interest in my post.

Ok, so they gave you some information, glad to hear that. Generally the best approach is to save as many teeth as possible and crowns and root canal treatments are a way to do it. Also crowns with decay under it can sometimes still be replaced - but here I am leaning too far into dentistry which I do not have much idea about so better asking a dentist.

I can't tell you, why, but it sounds a bit quick to me. Getting a cleaning, all the fillings and extractions should be the first thing to talk about and also getting a bridge or implant takes some time so getting an immediate denture after the extractions should be the start. I would be confused if someone would want to consult implants with me at a point where we didn't even start any treatment. On the other hand your post is a short version of the consult so I may be wrong. Anyway, it would be still a good idea to get a second opinion. You may also consider to post your question in the dentistry forum here on the page.

All the best wishes and keep us posted

Thanks for your thoughts, that's what I'm looking for, different point of veiw to help me look at all aspects of this issue.

Update. So, for anyone considering implants, there is a lot to learn. I am much more versed on the subject than I was 9 months ago. I chose to have my front four top teeth removed and two implants put in for a four tooth bridge. Due to an implant failure early on, l have had three surgeries and a bone graft after it failed with lots of waiting. My surgeon has covered removing the failed one, the graft and the new implant, which has been in three weeks. It's looking good, scheduled for uncovering and temp abutments at the end of July. Hopefully teeth soon after that. It's been a process, but I would still do it again, because I feel the end result will be worth it. Just be prepared going in for the unexpected.

Update. So, for anyone considering implants, there is a lot to learn. I am much more versed on the subject than I was 9 months ago. I chose to have my front four top teeth removed and two implants put in for a four tooth bridge. Due to an implant failure early on, l have had three surgeries and a bone graft after it failed with lots of waiting. My surgeon has covered removing the failed one, the graft and the new implant, which has been in three weeks. It's looking good, scheduled for uncovering and temp abutments at the end of July. Hopefully teeth soon after that. It's been a process, but I would still do it again, because I feel the end result will be worth it. Just be prepared going in for the unexpected.

I am glad you finally got them to be successful. I have had one implant so far, and have two more to go. One is for my front upper tooth, so I am very nervous about failure on that one. It had a large abscess and I have a lot of bone loss. I also do not look forward to wearing a flipper for a year or more. I go in next week to get impressions for the flipper, then schedule extraction.

I am glad you finally got them to be successful. I have had one implant so far, and have two more to go. One is for my front upper tooth, so I am very nervous about failure on that one. It had a large abscess and I have a lot of bone loss. I also do not look forward to wearing a flipper for a year or more. I go in next week to get impressions for the flipper, then schedule extraction.
Thank you much. I agree about the flipper, don't use it as much as I should. My best to you on your journey down this path.

Sounds amazing. Well done to you and you dentist.

Last edited:
Thanks, I appreciate your kind words of encouragement.

Back