• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Oral sedation/IV sedation question

Susanne

Susanne

The oral surgeon that my dentist suggested for wisdom teeth extraction requires a physical exam and bloodwork prior to any procedure involving IV sedation, but his website says nothing about any such requirements for oral sedation such as a Valium or Ativan pill. I'm assuming that IV sedation is a bit more potent and carries more risk than just taking an anti-anxiety pill before an extraction. Is that true? I've made it quite clear that I am not comfortable undergoing GA or IV sedation, as I don't want to deal with the side effects/grogginess or the risks, however small they may be.

Anti-anxiety pill also have their risk and side effects. I'm not a doctor but I believe doctors have a better control on IV sedation than they have on oral sedation pill.

Suzanne

Do you feel the oral surgeon understood your discomfort with sedation/Ga.. and did you say you wanted the oral? maybe you could email to clarify . I do always feel better going for a general check up before any sedation or GA either way but if you'd rather do oral. they should understand that and communicate if that is possible in a clear way. Hope you get a solid answer soon.

Oral sedation with a pill will relax and calm you. IV sedation will put you more out, it’s also called conscious sedation because you’re awake, and not awake at the same time. Just had IV for extractions and I do remember parts of it, but no stress or pain. For either option you will need someone to go with you to drive you home. It is a medical procedure, so that’s why the bloodwork and doctor’s clearance are necessary. I wasn’t super groggy or out of it when they woke me up, all in all it was a positive experience and allowed me to get work done that I wouldn’t have been able to without it.

Is nitrous oxide an option? I use that for my dental surgeries because often I have to drive myself. It works much better than the pills (I have used Ativan), and is out of your system within minutes of you being off of it. I also hate that groggy feeling. When I used Ativan, it did help relax me, but I was very sleepy the rest of the day.

The oral surgeon that my dentist suggested for wisdom teeth extraction requires a physical exam and bloodwork prior to any procedure involving IV sedation, but his website says nothing about any such requirements for oral sedation such as a Valium or Ativan pill. I'm assuming that IV sedation is a bit more potent and carries more risk than just taking an anti-anxiety pill before an extraction. Is that true? I've made it quite clear that I am not comfortable undergoing GA or IV sedation, as I don't want to deal with the side effects/grogginess or the risks, however small they may be.

I've had IV sedation 3 times, never had oral sedation. I found that IV sedation is very safe, and that there is much more control than with oral sedation as it can be titrated. Oral sedation might not work or you might end up over sedated.
I've never been asked for blood tests, that seems excessive but I guess every dentist has their own way.
I am groggy after sedation but it is only for a couple of days and it allows me to get the work done that I need?

The oral surgeon that my dentist suggested for wisdom teeth extraction requires a physical exam and bloodwork prior to any procedure involving IV sedation, but his website says nothing about any such requirements for oral sedation such as a Valium or Ativan pill. I'm assuming that IV sedation is a bit more potent and carries more risk than just taking an anti-anxiety pill before an extraction. Is that true?

I would see oral sedation and IV sedation more like two different things. Prescribing you a standard dose of valium or ativan in a pill that you take orally and only once before a procedure is not comparable to hooking you on iv and making sure a certain dose of drug adjusted to your specific needs and health condition is going in continuously during the whole procedure. Also the drugs used for oral sedation and iv sedation are different ones.

Not sure what your worry or question rega is, however if you do not wish to get any kind of sedation or wish one specific kind, then that is fine and your surgeon should be happy to meet your needs.

Posting our articles about oral sedation and iv sedation in case you haven't seen them yet..