• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

oral sedative to drink this afternoon??? PANIC

A

aurora0803

Hello,

My first post. Argh. I'm off to the dentist today and I'm *supposed* to be having a sedative drink so that he can do an injection and filling. What is this and how 'out of it will I be.

I'm so awful at the dentist and go into a complete state. I can't imagine that I'll be any use at work this morning as I'm in a constant state of tears. Argh. I know I have dentistry to be done so I must go, but it's so terrifying. Normally, I am put out completely and 'don't know anything' about it using an IV drip sedative.

Will the drink make me not know?????

Please help...

um... is anyone able to tell me how an oral sedative works - i don't know if it's a liquid, or pills with a liquid but am TERRIFIED. I just don't want to be able to know about the injection and the work they're doing on me. My appointment is this afternoon after 2pm and I'm really worried.

Can anyone offer any advice before I go?:hidesbehindsofa:????

Ive asked a question like this before and i got told the sediative is midazolam
try googling it it makes you sleepy and have memory loss of the procedure.
hope this helped

really???? I'm going to check now....

thanks for telling me.
:)

Hi,

I don't know anything about liquid sedation. However, I have been using lorazepam to help me through my dental treatments, and it seems to be working ok for me. It keeps me calm.

It would help if you knew what you were going to be given, as then we could give you more specific help.

However, I am sure that the dentist will have plenty of experience of using the sedative and will know that it will help you.

Good luck for this afternoon.

Holly

I know, but I'm too scared to call. I know that I won't be able to speak when they answer the phone!

Thanks though!

I'm so glad I've found this forum!

Yeah the midazolam can come in a liquid form as well as an injection, i found some really pages on it last night :)

Versed (midzolam) is a benzodiazpine sedative. It is normally given for procedures where moderate to heavy sedation is required. In liquid form it has a half-life of 2-3 hours (50% of the drug is eliminated from the blood stream by this time)

Upon ingestion it should start to work in a few minutes. This medication has powerful amnesic effects meaning you should have almost no memory of the treatment and be asleep during the procedure.

It is well tolerated and quite effective. I think you will be very happy with the results.

Hope this helps. :)

Back