• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Oral Surgery in 4 days...Scared to death!

I definitely plan on posting in the success stories, Sevena! Thank you so much for your kind words!

Okay...so I've been lurking around the forum for a while and finally decided to create an account.

I'm having oral surgery this coming Tuesday to have two teeth pulled. I have panic disorder and I'm absolutely terrified! This is probably a procedure that could have been done in a regular dentist's office, but because of my anxiety I've decided (with my dentist's recommendation) to get IV sedation. As a matter of fact, when I was at the dentist this past week my heart rate was 109. :(

Okay...so here is what I'm most terrified of. I feel like during the procedure I'll probably be fine because of the IV medication, but I'm worried about waking up afterwards to a huge panic attack. :cry:

Can anyone tell me their experiences (praying they're good ones! :() with sedation dentistry? I'm scared!

My only experience with sedation is oral, and being prescribed a valium to take before the appointment. But I just wanted to wish you good luck with your appointment and tell you that a couple months ago I had to go to an oral surgeon for a surgical extraction. Even though I was so terrified I thought I would literally break the armrests off the chair from how tightly I gripped them and squeezed my eyes shut tight....... it turned out to be the quickest easiest most pain free dental procedure I have ever had in my life. It took him literally less than 2 minutes to get my tooth out and I did not feel it at all.

Back