• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Oral Surgery in 8 days

F

freakout

Well I am scheduled to have oral surgery in 8 days to have mandibular tori (excessive bone growth on the inside of the lower jaw) removed. The tori is not normally a problem, except if you need dentures/partials. My dentist kept trying to get me to do this, but I kept putting it off. Finally after we could no longer adjust the partial anymore and the mouth sores were getting worse, he told me I had to have this done :shame:

I went to an oral surgeon I saw a year ago for a tooth problem. Last time I saw him I really did not like him, he was very abrupt and not very caring, but he has an excellant reputation. This time he was very kind and sympathetic :) He told me this is a major procedue :scared: He said that normally he does the procedure in the hospital with general anesthetic, but as I do not have medical insurance, he would do it in the office with IV sedation :scared:....as long as I am cooperative :confused: He asked when I wanted to schedule the procedure and I said I just want to get it over with. So he put me on antibiotics, gave me a rinse to help the mouth heal and I will have it done next friday :scared: :scared:

He was very kind and explained they would get me nice and calm and relaxed, then numb my mouth. Get me more calm and relaxed and then take it nice and slow. He also told me several time he was going to take good care of me. That helped alot :(

It has been years since I have had IV sedation, which was with a surgeon I trusted completely. I would appreciate any stories people care to share with me, especally what happens when you first arrive in the room. :scared:

Thank You all for your support :)

Hello freakout, so sorry your going through it right now!

All I can really add is my experience with IV sedation. I arrived at the dentists office nervous as hell, which I am sure you can remember for my previous posts and silly questions! :redface:

I was taken into my dentists staff room, blood pressure was taken and pulse rate also, I was then taken into the treatment room, dental nurse and dentist both holding my hand and making sure I was OK. I then out on my MP3 player, was told to pump my hand so he could get a vein, I looked away, felt the little scratch and thats basically it! After the work was done, I was asked to lie for about 15 mins then that was it! All done and dusted and I then went home, and slept!

I will have everything crossed for you on your surgery date as I, and everyone else knows what you have been through, I also hope this puts an end to all the problems and that you start to have the painfree life you so definately deserve!

hi t
just to say im here for you :XXLhug: :XXLhug: :XXLhug:

Thanks :) I really does help to hear positive stories. The closer it gets to the appointment, the more nervous I get. :scared: I really wonder how I will walk through that door on friday...knowing this is a "major procedure" :scared: My dad is going to take me...not the best person to have when you are nervous, but I have no choice :(

I really look forward to this all being behind me, yet I don't look forward to friday getting her :scared:

Hi, I can only say it is amazing and has really helped me with a 50year old phobia. The first time I had it everyone knew I was a major dental phobic with a lot of work to be done. The anethiatist had phoned me at home and sent me a prescription for some diazapan to take the night before and then first thing the next morning. I had the first appointment, my husband took me and as I rang the bell they opened it immediately and ushered me straight in - no time for sitting around with nerves. Everyone was so kind and and I almost felt they had rehearsed exactly what they would do when I got there - sit in the chair as they were taliking to me, all instruments hidden, music playing, 'let's see if we can find a vein in the elbow crease -bang nearly four hours lattr I had had three root canals on my front teeth and new ones bonded on, one tooth out, a few fillings etc. After about half an hour I walked out with my husband, was abit woosy but managed an hour's drive home and dozed all afternoon. Next day absolutely fine, just getting used to having front teeth again after years of broken ones.

Next time, wisdom tooth out, two teeth had pins put in them plus six fillings on my lower teeth - again absolutely fine but had cut down on the diazapan before and actually went to the dentist not in a major panic.

Third time was for the start of four implants, as I had one each side of my mouth top and bottom which involved stitches and some bruising this was more painful afterwards but this time no diazapan.

So, if an old lady of sixty who had not been to a dentist since she was a child can sing the praises of I/V and now almost look forward to going to the dentist I am absolutely sure you will cope fine. Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Jupiter xx

Back