• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Oral surgery

Mikey Boy

Mikey Boy

So I am having oral surgery on Monday morning to have a wisdom tooth removed that is sitting next to a nerve in my jaw and I was wondering if anybody has experience with oral surgery and could tell me what their experiences were like any advice would be appreciated.

Hello,

I personally have found that extractions have been among my easiest appointments. For wisdom teeth, I did have to open my mouth wider than I've had to for other appointments, but it didn't take very long. (All of my wisdom teeth were at least partially erupted, so I'm coming from that perspective.)

After the teeth were removed, I had to keep gauze in my mouth for a while, but I didn't have a lot of bleeding. I had one removed a few years ago, and I was comfortable going back to work for the rest of the day. I just sit at a computer all day, so I wasn't doing anything strenuous.

Best wishes for your appointment. If you have anything you would like to ask me, please feel free.

@mikey boy I have had all wisdom teeth removed, two impacted, two not impacted, in two different appointments, one for each side, and a dental implant, all with local anesthetic only. The surgeries were all painless except the local anesthetic injections. There were several around each tooth for the wisdom teeth and I would describe them as uncomfortable. The impacted wisdom teeth did involve some sensations of strong pressure, strong probing or prodding, and tugging, and some sounds like cracks and crunches but there was no pain. One had to be cut with a drill before extracting. They took a few minutes to extract. The non impacted ones came out with just a couple prods, in about 30 seconds each. On one of my impacted wisdom teeth the dentist cracked the bone around it but that didn't end up causing me any problems. I had to bite gauze for a few hours while the sockets were bleeding, take ibuprofen and tylenol at the same time for a few days, and use an icepack for a couple days. I recommend you get an icepack with a strap or bandage so you can strap it to your face and some soft foods like ice cream, apple sauce, and mac and cheese. Also a syringe with no needle to rinse food from the sockets, if your dentist doesn't provide one. I requested a bite block/mouth prop from my dentist so I wouldn't have to work to keep my mouth open, I suggest you consider if that is something you might like. The most important thing I can tell you is for years wisdom teeth removal had been hyped to me as something that is a really big deal and requires sedation or general anesthesia, which had gotten me really scared, and it turned out it was all hype. It was a painless, mildly unpleasant, and quick procedure, and I had stressed about it for years for no reason. If you have any question you would like me to answer that I didn't answer here, please let me know. Otherwise, hope this is helpful!

@mikey boy I have had all wisdom teeth removed, two impacted, two not impacted, in two different appointments, one for each side, and a dental implant, all with local anesthetic only. The surgeries were all painless except the local anesthetic injections. There were several around each tooth for the wisdom teeth and I would describe them as uncomfortable. The impacted wisdom teeth did involve some sensations of strong pressure, strong probing or prodding, and tugging, and some sounds like cracks and crunches but there was no pain. One had to be cut with a drill before extracting. They took a few minutes to extract. The non impacted ones came out with just a couple prods, in about 30 seconds each. On one of my impacted wisdom teeth the dentist cracked the bone around it but that didn't end up causing me any problems. I had to bite gauze for a few hours while the sockets were bleeding, take ibuprofen and tylenol at the same time for a few days, and use an icepack for a couple days. I recommend you get an icepack with a strap or bandage so you can strap it to your face and some soft foods like ice cream, apple sauce, and mac and cheese. Also a syringe with no needle to rinse food from the sockets, if your dentist doesn't provide one. I requested a bite block/mouth prop from my dentist so I wouldn't have to work to keep my mouth open, I suggest you consider if that is something you might like. The most important thing I can tell you is for years wisdom teeth removal had been hyped to me as something that is a really big deal and requires sedation or general anesthesia, which had gotten me really scared, and it turned out it was all hype. It was a painless, mildly unpleasant, and quick procedure, and I had stressed about it for years for no reason. If you have any question you would like me to answer that I didn't answer here, please let me know. Otherwise, hope this is helpful!
So I’m pretty sure I’m gonna be asleep for it because I can’t eat or drink anything after midnight so but I’ve never had one take it out this way where I am not awake

Back