• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Ouch...I wasn't expecting this :(

C

Cray

Hello everybody!
I would like to begin by saying how cool this site is, it is a really awesome resource for people like me who don't really know the first thing about dental things, in fact this is the first time I have had anything major done to me teeth, so I am not sure what to be expecting.

I got my four wisdom teeth taken out Friday, five days ago from today. My oral surgeon did a fantastic job explaining what would happen the first couple days, but now things have gotten a little weird.
Of course I have considered the fact I am simply psyching myself out about all this, I figured it would be nice to get a second opinion.

I have been experiencing a lot of pain and discomfort in my wisdom teeth. Things seem to begin getting better then quickly take a turn for the worse. I feel like the first thing to mention is that randomly I get incredibly sharp pain and bleeding from my extraction sites still. I am not sure if this is normal or not but my internet search has no really come up with anything. I have been unable to take the prescribed pain medications simply because the first day I was unable to keep them down so I have been attempting to use advil in it's place but it hasn't deemed very helpful. For now I have stopped taking it altogether simply because my mother has been pushing me off them, she feels that it is all in my head since she had a fairly easy wisdom teeth experience. I am not sure how long pain is supposed to continue but it is simply unbearable at times. The reason I am up at 4:00am posting this was because I woke up to intense pain and some bleeding. This is probably the fourth time this has happened, not in any specific tooth. I feel like it might be worth mentioning that after an episode yesterday a new bruise formed pretty soon afterward on my cheek (which seems kind of usual to me?). I have also had very bad stiffness in my jaw leading up to my ear and head. Is it possible the stitches are dissolving this early and maybe that's why this is happening? I have no idea.

So what do you guys think? Is it all in my head or do I have a legitimate reason to worry? Should I raise a fuss or just grin and bear it as I have been trying to do? I really need some confirmation being a very busy student. The pain makes it increasing difficult to focus at a time in the year I need it most. Thanks for any and all help! It is really appreciated!

Hello Cray,

Sorry to hear this.

Intense pain could be a sign of a 'dry socket', especially if normal painkillers have little effect.

I would speak to your dentist/oral surgeon -- if it is a dry socket, they can pack the extraction site with some fancy-pants medicinal stuff which will bring almost instant relief. Otherwise, if it's simply part of the normal healing process they will advise you accordingly.

Never suffer in silence!

Wishing you a swift recovery,
Steve

If you are sore then you should take painkillers - your mother's experience was her own and not yours.

Take them as prescribed and regularly - do not allow yourself to get to the point of agony - pain is easier to get rid off before it takes hold than if you wait until you are in agony.

It will not do any harm to ask your dentist to take a look, but do make sure that you are giving the painkillers a chance.

Good luck - Coolin :)

Go and see your dentist, let them tell you all is fine. Everyone is different when healing, you could have an infection and it can be sorted out very easily with antibiotics. Only your dentist can say for sure if things are okay by having a look. Do not suffer, you can't study if you are in pain and tired from being woken up with pain and bleeding. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

It's been a few days now and it seems like things have improved quite a bit.
The thing that has made the biggest difference was making sure to take pain meds regularly, like Coolin said. It at least made the pain bearable until whatever was wrong eventually healed itself :)

Last night was the first night I haven't woken up because of the pain, so I am definitely though the worst of it! I am able to eat a lot of food in small bites now. My jaw still can't open very wide, but it's something I can deal with at least and I am hoping that will fade with time too.

Hooray for recovery! Thanks for all the great advice!

Back