• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Overall Health Changes

M

mghstl

Just came across my Zantac 150 and Tums...and realized that I haven't had an indigestion/heartburn issue since addressing my dental health. In the past, I've had such bad pain that I've ended up in the ER, certain it was "the big one". I always suspected that there was a connection between my teeth and swallowing lots of "poison" consequently.
I'm curious what the rest of you may have experienced in terms of your overall health. Good things? Bad things? New things?

well I still can't chew, but I suspect your issue was just that- not chewing enough to start the digestive process properly, so your stomach was working overtime and produced extra digestive juices- aka acid.... not to mention the stress of eating and knowing your mouth is in trouble.

I did a post a long time ago about while trying to improve my dental health it inspired me to improve the rest of me- I even quit smoking...... think I called it the halo affect

rp

Well it's still really early to tell for me overall. But I've never been able to breathe fully through my nose (that I can remember).

But when I had my upper teeth out in Nov. I've been able to breathe beautifully through my nose ever since.

I was one of the "lucky"ones who always had a side of my mouth to chew on, albeit with care. It was only towards the end of my misery that I couldn't...and then I just skipped eating (sort of!). I remember the last time I had so much "heartburn" that I went to the ER; it was last September and my dear husband, due to my lose of a front crown, was becoming more aware of my dental issues. I, of course, wanted the conversations with the ER MD to stay AWAY from that subject, but my husband pushed it (to my complete mortification), and the MD ignored it! Kinda surprised me; I think of ER MDs as being trained to recognize underlying mental issues, drug issues, etc. I also remember the urgent care MD I saw a month later for my gum infection; he, too, was uncomfortable with my dental state. So I'm left wondering about general MDs and their approach to their patient's dental health. My dentist knows a lot about my general health...couldn't have nitrous without an EKG showing a strong heart and a baseline BP.
Anyway, I'm rambling...maybe I've watched too many TV ER shows, but I wonder how much a doctor considers teeth. Maybe they don't consider it a true health concern

I've only had one "problem" solved so far, but it was my biggest. And I've been having fewer headaches since then. I used to get terrible tension headaches all the time. I still get them from time to time (chiropractor is next on my list of experts to see!), but I think it was a combination of the nerve irritation and favoring that side that set them off constantly. Before having it done, I'd pop a naproxen for a headache every other day. Now, I might do one a week, but even then, the pain is never as bad as it was before.

I'm also largely sleeping better at night, which I attribute to the big stress relief of getting over the constant anxiety ("is it going to start hurting at 2AM?!" "was that a twinge, or the start of a toothache?!" "did I let it go too far?!").

Back