• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

overbite

M

mugaj

:(I am 27 years, my doctor took an x-ray and he noted that i have an overbite which had caused protruding of the upper lip.

I really hate my upper lip and feel i need to do something. I lost one of my teeth and the doctor suggested inplant, braces to deal with the overbite or a surgery

Please advise

Hi.

So, what did your x-ray show?

Your dentist would not need an x-ray to diagnose an overbite. Is your lip pushed out by your teeth? I take it that's what you mean. Most overbites would be corrected by using orthodontics - ie pushing the protruding teeth back using braces.

This may require removal of some teeth also, but I don't see how an implant would help. (Bearing in mind I haven't seen your teeth, etc, etc..) Depending on the nature of your overbite, surgical intervention might be appropriate.

Sorry I cannot give more advice given the limited information. But I do hope that helps :)

My teeth are not protruding. It is my upper lip that is protruding and the dentist said it because of an overbite.

He suggested an implant because i lost of one of teeth. He noted that if i do not put an implant / a denture, the gap would be seen after the surgery

I really don't know how to proceed. I am scared of braces because i feel they are children. I am 27 yrs so i am scared of societial reaction.

:cheers:

Braces are fairly trendy in adults here, whereabouts in the world are you living?

While its not appropriate for all cases, talk to your dentist or orthodontist about invisalign.

Gordon i nlive in East Africa. I have not seen an adult with braces that is why i am concerned about the braces option.:confused:

invisalign may be a good option but only worried about the cost.

Will try to ask the dentist. In your ctry, is it cheaper than braces ?

invisalign won't sort out a skeletal class 2 Decan!

It's much more expensive than conventional ortho as well.

Which is why I said "its not appropriate for all cases." :)

I read the post pretty fast and didn't notice anything about a class II malocclusion. Looking back I can see how its probably class II div I.:oops:

:)What is a class 2 ?

If you require more details to enable you come up with the best option, i am willing to provide

it seems we have few Orthodonits. I want to proceed with my option when i am sure i will get the best / expected results. At least a 99.8% success which i do not think i can attain with our orthodonists. We have many dentists that Orthodonists.
:respect:

Back