• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Overdentures - A dentist's view (WARNING: contains photos)

Re: Dentist's View (WARNING: CONTAINS PHOTOS)

The denture itself can last much longer than three years - it is the attachment 'inside' the denture that wears out - this is easy to swop over for a new one.
Think of overdentures as being dentures on press studs. They can be attached to teeth or implants and in my experience are far, far better than traditional full dentures.
I don't work in the NHS any more but in the past I certainly made overdentures on the NHS.

Thank you very much, it is lovely to hear from a dentist in the UK, that knows about these overdentures, I have never heard of them, mind you there is a lot I haven't heard of. I don't need dentures at the moment but I will most certainly be asking about these if I ever do. I do have a gap I need filling with something would this type of denture work in that case or would that be classed as an implant. My gap is where one tooth was removed.

Do you know if overdentures are done for a gap of three or four teeth in the top of the mouth?

Hi guys,

There is another important reason why people (especially dental phobic people) would consider extracting (all their) teeth: They think that pulling out the teeth their dental problem gets solved and thus the dental fear is being answered. Needless to say this is not the case.

Dr Daniel, this I know, I wanted my teeth out for some years and twice had asked a dentist to take them out. It is just so exhausting trying to fight the fear of dental visits.

The times when I have found a dentist that I can trust not to get annoyed with me or be rough, I will go along for my appointments and get the treatment I need. I am still nervous but it is much easier.

In the UK our NHS dentists leave practices and move around, this puts someone nervous right back to square one. Some years ago after having found a lovely dentist and being really happy to go and see him, he left. The man that took over was horrible, he was rough, said very little and did nothing to help me. He made me feel like a pest. He left a condition I had untreated which I am still suffering from today.

I didn't know then that I could just leave the practice and move out of my area to get a dentist. When I did find this out I did move and I got a really good dentist that also left the new practice, the dentist that took over from him was terrible.

So once again I sat wishing that I had false teeth, now when some years ago I did look into this, I discovered that dentures for reason of being afraid are indeed not the answer.

Today I am so glad that the dentists I did ask refused because I am having treatment and am now fighting to keep my teeth, which is something I never thought I would do.

I think if someone asks for their teeth out, the dentists needs to question why and try and resolve the problem,

I am really surprised when I read on here about dentists telling people it would be best for them to have all their teeth out, I am amazed. I have never met a dentist that is happy to remove somebodies full mouth of healthy teeth, but quite a few people on here are being told to do just this because they are nervous.

Thanks Dr. D and Carole.

I'm not planning or expecting to have a full extraction, but am curious: how does having a full extraction FAIL to solve all teeth-related problems?

Are we talking gum problems, bone loss etc.

Cheers, Steve

edit: I noticed the word 'fear' as opposed to 'solution'.

Agreed -- a fear is a fear, regardless of the number of 'real' teeth in your mouth.

There is the recovery period, and not every one is suited to having a denture put in straight away, and may have to go some time without teeth.

Also until we are faced with having to get used to a denture we don't know how our mouth will react to the change. Some people can not get used to them and end up not wearing them much of the time, or in some cases at all. It is time consuming returning to the dentist to have alterations made to get a snug and comfortable fit. Some people gag with the plate.

Sometimes they do move and from what I understand the lower ones are worse than the top ones because the top ones can easily get good suction to hold them in, but the lower ones are a different thing all together, and a lot of people have to use a glue.

When you eat something like strawberries the pips can get under the dentures. Can you imagine trying to chew a toffee, wave goodbye to that if you like it.

You still have to go for check ups at the dentist just the same as if you had your own teeth, they check for cancer and other oral problems as with your own teeth.

If you have pets they seem to love a denture and I have heard so many stories of people being in a panic because their dog had taken a fancy to their denture and had a good old chew on it. Only for the poor person having to find somewhere that can do same day denture repairs.

If you go into hospital for an operation you have to take the dentures out and hopefully they will be safe until you come round.

They effect what you taste too because the plate stops the sensation and taste of some foods.

You can scratch the dentures by brushing too so you need to be careful how you clean them.

All in all a lot to worry and take care of, so I think if you can keep your own teeth it is best. Now if someone has to have dentures because they are in such a terrible state and pain with their own, then they can improve but if your own teeth can be treated and cleaned to stay healthy it is by far the easiest solution.

That is just what I think, I soon went off the idea once I was given the pro's and con's. The condition of my teeth meant that it would not be an easy solution, but a lot of extra work to have dentures. I now want my own teeth for as long as possible, and I do everything I can to try and make sure I keep them. :butterfly:

Thanks Dr. D and Carole.

I'm not planning or expecting to have a full extraction, but am curious: how does having a full extraction FAIL to solve all teeth-related problems?

Are we talking gum problems, bone loss etc.

Cheers, Steve

edit: I noticed the word 'fear' as opposed to 'solution'.

Agreed -- a fear is a fear, regardless of the number of 'real' teeth in your mouth.

I will try to summarize it: the quality of chewing is worsened over the years. Research shows that people (especially old) without good chewing ability eat less and it effects their health.
In addition: there are many problems with dentures that don't sit well: sores, poor esthetics, difficulty to talk...

To add to Dr Daniel's input.

The decrease is dramatic up to 90% after years.
Two big problems happen over time.
1. You loose the bone that the denture sits on. It is progressive and can't be stopped.
2. The nice firm gum that is on top of the ridge(like the gum on the roof of your mouth) shrinks away.

Back