• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Overlapping front tooth and dark filling.

A

Anxioustom

Hi guys,

Just want to start out by saying that I at first had a HUGE fear of going to the dentist which left my teeth in not so good condition. With frequent dental visits lately I have been getting better so that's a plus.

I have a couple of simple questions. One of my front teeth overlaps the other quite a bit, I'm 21 years old and realise this may be to old to have braces fitted but is there anythign a dentist could do to line the front teeth back up?

Also on one of my front teeth I have a small filling which has darkened over time and doesn't look good. What can a dentist do to this? Dig the filling out and re-fill it?

Cheers,

Tom

You're so not too old for braces. One of our posters is over 40 and another 50 and they have had braces. There's lots of new options with stuff like Invisalign and Six Month Smiles, that are quicker and cheaper than the old railroad track braces.

The old filling can be replaced for a better matching composite. You could do veneers or lumineers which would solve both problems (the overlap and the old filling) but do it cautiously as some tooth structure could be lost.

Best option is to see a dentist, talk about your goals, and then get a treatment plan that details all of your options!

rp

Thanks for getting back to me.

It's good to know that I'm not to old to get braces. The thing that concerns me though is that I've had checkups before but the dentist has never even mentioned braces to me before.

I have had one root canal and I'm due to have another this Tuesday, is this likely to affect my chances of getting braces?

Right now I am NHS Eligible, so if I did need braces the NHS would cover this?

Cheers

Back