• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Oversized blood clot after extraction.

C

clermont

Had a upper molar removed yesterday afternoon. Went to bed at 10pm it bleed nonstop for literally hours. I had to sleep with gauze in my mouth. i kept waking up from either a soaked bloody pillow, choking and burping up blood and saliva and to change the guaze. Finally the bleeding stoped at 4am after numerous attempts with gauze and tea bags.

My problems now are i have a LARGE and i mean a large blood clot that extends up from the extraction site all the way down to the bottom jawline. Basically it looks like a bloody hankerchief or small wash rag stuffed in a hole. its so long i can even chew on it if i choose.:censored: It cover both tooth on either side. I can clearly see the hole is plugged or clotted.

Is this normal? can i steralize a small manicure scissor and CAREFULLY trim the blood clot so i wont chew it while eating and such. Or will this gradually dissolve on its own.

my other problem is my bowel movement this morning was dark...almost black:scared: and very loose.

I tried to call my dentist. She said put gauze on it and come in....She asked if i was on any blood thinners. I think my dentist who is Indian thought i said i was STILL bleeding which im not.

Please help. :(

Last edited:
Go back to your dentist. It's worth getting it looked at properly. Dark stool is from swallowing your own blood, nothing to worry about under the circumstances.

Do you take any aspirin or similar drugs?

I have been taking something for sleep. That is about it.

Thank you for your reply Gordon!

If I may I would like to add that I kept the original gauze in for about 5 hours there was very little blood. My guess is when she put the guaze in my mouth it was dry not moist. so After 5 hours when I decided to change it. I pulled the clot out. I dunno just a guess

The extra blood clot hanging in my mouth is shrinking or dissolving. Also the edges are now turn gray and white. I will assume this is good healing.

Back