• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Oversized Filling causing problem...?

L

Lambo

Hello,

Just had a filling done on the back of one of my upper front teeth that had a part rotted away near the bottom. Now after the numbness has gone away, I have noticed that when I close my mouth, the tooth directly under it knocks into the tooth which I have had filled. Subsequently, this is also affecting my eating, and I have to try chewing the food in one side of my mouth, otherwise the top and bottom teeth will start banging together with every chomp.

Has the dentist put a too big a filling in my tooth? And can this be smoothed out etc afterward?

I just want to know if this is easily treatable by the dentist; as I don't want to pay another £55 for the pleasure of getting it fixed again.

Regards.

Hi There. Sorry to hear you are having problems. My personal experience (unfortunately I do have some :rolleyes: ) is that sometimes it takes a while after the numbness wears off & perhaps a little swelling to go down & the fillings usually feel fine after a day or so. But I have had problems where the filling isn't perfect. The dentist can tell by putting in a plastic-type film between your teeth & after you bite down they can tell if the filling is in the way. It's usually never a problem to reshape it to fit the bite correctly. Do this right away so you don't end up chipping other teeth that are misalligned now. That was my mistake.

It's a quick two minute job to fix this, go back ASAP and get it done. If the dentist charges you anything for doing it, change dentists! :)

It is beginning to be a bother just chewing food, so I have booked another appointment to get it sorted.

Thanks for all the replies.

Regards

Just to update, the dentist has now sorted my front tooth out now, and smoothed it out too (it felt a bit rough after the filling).
There is still some resistance (on the other front tooth and the one directly under), but apparently there is meant to be.

Also did the job without charge. cool.

Glad to hear everything worked out well! ;D

Back