• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Overwhelming anxiety about upcoming appointment.

H

helenclaire1

Hi to everyone I've been reading posts on this site for a few weeks now and found you all so supportive of each other. I think my anxiety stems from childhood as many peoples does, having a quite brutal dentist and the smell of the surgery was horrible. I'm 55 now and my teeth are really the only thing in my life that I spend a ridiculous amount of time worrying about. I have had so many things done in the past twenty years. I had two bridges both lower jaw left and right, veneers on upper front teeth. I then had two front teeth veneers changed to crowns. The bridge on the bottom left had to be removed last year as there was an abscess underneath. I have a denture now for the bridge that was removed and I absolutely hate it. I have always had six month check ups and scale and polish but I have moved to a different area and registered with a new NHS dentist and have an app next Monday. I am so anxious as to what he will think. I think there is something going on under the bridge on the right , my crowns are not even and veneers ( don't get me started on that subject , they can pop off and then have to be put back on at £60 a time).
The actual treatment itself doesn't bother me (although I could think of much nicer things to be doing)it's the initial judgement I think that worries me. At least my previous dentist was aware of all the work I had had done. This particular dental practice rates very highly and was recommended by a colleague.
Sorry for rambling on but I needed to get this all down. Advice, experiences most welcome. Helen

Here is a rule of thumb: feature what you can’t hide.

Your new dentist will see everything soon enough anyway, so you as well preempt his shock (he won’t be shocked ?) by “warning” him first about your situation.

You may as well get it all out.

Hi Helen :welcome:,

sounds like you are really unhappy with some of your work, which is a pitty, particularly if you attend regularly. You mentioned being afraid of judgment, what exactly do you believe they might think?
I can't find anything you have done wrong and having a dental work that doesn't work would most likely only make your dentist judge your previous dentist...
Feel free to ramble and vent, in my experience it helps a lot :)

All the best wishes

Hi,

Switching to a new dentist is not easy: everything and everyone is new, the uncertainty is very high and it’s difficult to allow a stranger into our mouth. It would help if you pay a visit to the clinic beforehand, even without an appointment, to see the practice and meet the stuff and the dentist. That will reduce your uncertainty and unfamiliarity.
You stated your concern that the dentist will be shocked by the amount of work needed.
First of all, dentists look in the mouth from a professional point of view. Besides that, you can be certain the dentist have seen patients with much more work needed than yours in the course of their career.
Lastly, there is a very good chance that your new dentist will think differently from your former dentist and will choose a much more conservative treatment plan. Usually dentists have various opinions.
Allow me to invite you to watch two of my videos: one is about feeling embarrassed during a dental visit and the a second video called “the uncertainty factor”.
Hope it helps.

Helen,

Welcome to DFC.. We are glad you have joined us and wrote! You are not alone for sure in the fear of judgement being a huge factor in your anxiety about a new dentist! I'm glad your new one came highly recommended by a colleauge , that is a plus,. I hope they will work well for you! I know for me the judgement factor and shame have been a huge anxiety for me..with my last dentist I decided to put it straight out there with him and tell him of my shame in a very real way and he was really reassuring to me and it helped a ton.. he was the first dentist I shared this with and it really helped get it off my heart and know he wasn't judging instead of just being worried and not putting it out there.. when he left the practice I was seeing I did some searching online and put it out there in the emails to the potential practices that I was ashamed of my teeth and anxious and I found a few very compassionate dentists I did some visits too.. so I encourage you to put this very specific fear out there so they can know how you feel and be sensitive to that. I wish you the best in your appt and hope they are good and kind to you and helpful!!

I would to share with you the dentist’s perspective: for me, the most important thing as a dentist that treat anxious patients, is that the patient is open for a new experience, give me a chance to treat him well, and it is challenging to do that- due to the anxiety and stress involved but if I can deliver a positive experience (painless injection, painless drilling, no retching) the patient can realize it, experience it and have a memorable positive dental experience.

Thank you Dr Daniel your messages have been really helpful - I will let you know how I get on. Thank you again. Helen

Thank you everyone for your support to my previous post much appreciated. My app is in a few hours and have to say I feel a bit sick at the thought of it. I've hardly slept, waking up thinking about it. I tend to over analyse it all, going over and over what will happen. To get through it I'm thinking of the day ahead and what I'm doing after the appointment, going for a swim, shopping and then the eventful week ahead, birth if our 4th grandchild on Friday. I will be fine I know just will be pleased when it's over. Sending good wishes to all in the forum. ?☀️

Back