• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone with a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

It's a supportive space to talk to people with similar experiences, and get advice and information.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pain 2 weeks after tooth extraction

J

jrb0919

I had #30 tooth extracted which is second to back molar on bottom right side on December 12 so its been a little over 2 wks since I had the tooth pulled. It seems to be healing good its not red, no swelling and looks like new skin forming in the extraction site, no pain around the site but I have been having a achey feeling in my jaw that runs from the back of my jaw up my cheek a little. It usually feels better in the morning and toward evening it feels achier and has more pain usually advil and tylenol control the pain. I do sometimes need the vicodin my dentist prescribed me. I do have TMJ and just wondering if this is TMJ pain or healing pain. I did go back to my dentist one week after the extraction to have him look at it because of the pain he said it was prob nerve pain and healing pain possibly TMJ pain. He then proceeded to tell me to go home and stop worring about it that I'm just a worrier. I am afraid to call and ask if this pain is normal.

I have a tooth pain phobia because about 8 years ago I had a very bad absessed tooth that I needed IV antibiotics for and had to cut my gums to get the infection out, then got a root canal on the tooth and ended up having to pull the tooth because the root canal wouldn't heal it took 6-8 months for everything to heal, many antibiotics later and pain. This was all done by a different dentist but the dentist that did the extraction knows my history.

F

Fuzzgin

A friend of mine had a lot of jaw pain for a couple of weeks after an extraction. Hers was a bottom tooth too and when I was worried about my molar removal a colleague told me that the nerves are different in the bottom jaw. I don't have proof of this but I too have TMJ and felt pain in my jaw (although mild) during my extraction. The dentist gave me a rubber pice to put inside the other side of my jaw which helped. Mine was a top tooth. Mine recovered particularly quickly so maybe there is something in what was said. Anyone else know?

My first thought on reading your situation was to suggest that if you don't feel able to go back to the dentist, could you go to a doctor and get them to check your jaw? They may be able to prescribe a better painkiller as well as reassure you. Is it swollen? Any bruising alng the jaw?

J

jrb0919

A friend of mine had a lot of jaw pain for a couple of weeks after an extraction. Hers was a bottom tooth too and when I was worried about my molar removal a colleague told me that the nerves are different in the bottom jaw. I don't have proof of this but I too have TMJ and felt pain in my jaw (although mild) during my extraction. The dentist gave me a rubber pice to put inside the other side of my jaw which helped. Mine was a top tooth. Mine recovered particularly quickly so maybe there is something in what was said. Anyone else know?

My first thought on reading your situation was to suggest that if you don't feel able to go back to the dentist, could you go to a doctor and get them to check your jaw? They may be able to prescribe a better painkiller as well as reassure you. Is it swollen? Any bruising alng the jaw?

Thank you so much for replying. I don't have any swelling or redness. I don't have any bruising outside but my gum line still is a little purple around the extraction site. My son saw the dr today and I asked if they could take a peek at it they said it didn't look infected but a little bone or the other tooth looks like it may be sticking out. I called the dentist today and they told me it is still prob nerve pain and healing pain this could take some time to go away but they didn't want to see me. The pain at times is just so bad especially after I drink something cold or hot or at the end of the day it is worse. The dr did give me some vicodin. It's just having chronic pain sucks and I have this phobia as it is when my teeth and mouth hurt this pain just makes it worse.