• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Pain 3-4 weeks after extraction/ dry socket

E

elizv

Is it normal to still have an ache after an extraction? I had a dry socket. Actually they've been working on the tooth since October. Many root canals and an apico last month. I'd say it's mild/moderate pain. It seems to come and go. It's an ache and throbbing a little.

I was given a round of antibiotics since when he pulled it the tooth was accessed. I don't see the dentist until next week and I'm starting to get worried. Thanks.

Last edited:
FearfulInMA

FearfulInMA

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think everyone is different with different healing times. If the pain is not severe and not getting worse, you're probably ok.

E

elizv

Thank you. I'm panicking because the endodontist said it could be neuralgia. But when the dentist pulled it he saw how abscessed it was and said that I didn't need to see a neurologist and the abscess was why I was in so much pain.

The pain moves around. First it's in the tooth, then it's in the teeth in front. Then there are mild shooting pains. It got a lot better since he pulled it but I'm not sure if this is normal. Maybe it's the tooth behind it? I don't know.