• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pain after filling

C

Cbbeee

In January, I had a filling done on the front of a premolar. The filling was fine until one day I was eating something chewy and got pain in that tooth. So, I went to get a second opinion and that dentist told me it wasn’t sealed properly so he suggested a crown. I ended up going to a third dentist,in March, she said that the tooth has two other cavities and she completed the fillings for those. Later on that night I woke up with intense throbbing in that tooth. After a week, I went to see the dentist and she said the tooth is bruised and to give it time. The throbbing went away about two weeks later but there is always some type of pain throughout the day. Fast forward to May, one of the fillings fell off and I felt some type of relief. She redid the filling.. still the same situation always some type of pain throughout the day but not intense throbbing. Now, starting two weeks ago there’s been like a stinging pain.. I went to the dentist and she said that she doesn’t know how deep the original filling was as it was done by another dentist. She said it’s going to take time for the tooth to settle. She looked at a previous X-ray of the tooth and said there is no infection so she doesn’t want to do a root canal. At this point, I just don’t know what to do. I’ve been in pain for a few months and just wondering if I should just wait it out or go to a fourth dentist

In January, I had a filling done on the front of a premolar. The filling was fine until one day I was eating something chewy and got pain in that tooth. So, I went to get a second opinion and that dentist told me it wasn’t sealed properly so he suggested a crown. I ended up going to a third dentist,in March, she said that the tooth has two other cavities and she completed the fillings for those. Later on that night I woke up with intense throbbing in that tooth. After a week, I went to see the dentist and she said the tooth is bruised and to give it time. The throbbing went away about two weeks later but there is always some type of pain throughout the day. Fast forward to May, one of the fillings fell off and I felt some type of relief. She redid the filling.. still the same situation always some type of pain throughout the day but not intense throbbing. Now, starting two weeks ago there’s been like a stinging pain.. I went to the dentist and she said that she doesn’t know how deep the original filling was as it was done by another dentist. She said it’s going to take time for the tooth to settle. She looked at a previous X-ray of the tooth and said there is no infection so she doesn’t want to do a root canal. At this point, I just don’t know what to do. I’ve been in pain for a few months and just wondering if I should just wait it out or go to a fourth dentist
Also I’ve had my bite adjusted many times

Hi,

I don’t know what the cause of the problem is since I haven’t checked you. From reading your story it sounds like the tooth needs a root canal treatment, but again, it is speculative.
I must say that it is very good to hear your dentists are not rushing into a root canal treatment, without having enough evidence this procedure is needed.
on the other hand, even if the dentists do not know what is going on but it is clearly from that specific tooth, you as a patient have the right to choose having a root canal treatment just to ease the pain, even if the dentist is not convinced it is needed.

Hope I did not confuse you. It is a tough one.

Back