• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pain After Root Canal

S

slahtar

Hello all. I conquered my fear of a root canal but I am still in pain and I’m looking for some guidance. For what it’s worth, I was TERRIFIED of the root canal but it was honestly the easiest bit of dental work I’ve ever had done. This Dr is the first to be able to get me completely numb. Here’s the history - My 2nd molar had a large, old silver filling. The tooth cracked. Dentist placed a crown. Tooth remained temperature sensitive with a lingering pain. Had a root canal and temporary filling by endodontist 6 days ago. The endodontist pulled a pulp stone out of it - not sure that is relevant or not. The endodontist did the procedure with a microscope and was very confident he got all the canals (I asked). The tooth remains painful to pressure. Not like a toothache but I would liken it to poking a very sore and tender bruise when I chew or probe it with my tongue. It is not temperature sensitive at all (I’ve bathed it in ice water and hot coffee to test it). No noticeable swelling in the gum that I can see. I called the endodontist and they said to keep waiting and see if there is improvement. I also have a history of TMD with clicking, popping and grinding in that TMJ. My question is - how long do these things take to settle down? I’m taking ibuprofen to manage the pain and it helps some. I am also taking turmeric and CBD to try to rid the inflammation. Is there anything else I can do to speed this along?!

Thank you! I tried searching but couldn’t find anything

This is totally normal. I still have some tenderness three months after my two root canals! 6 days is still very, very early in your healing. Will you be getting a crown? A final restoration often helps the sensitivity greatly. Have patience and remember that YOU DID IT! Congrats!

thank you! Everything I have Googled says if it still hurts 3 days after the root canal something is wrong.
I had a crown placed before the root canal but developed irreversible pulpitis (sp?). They just drilled through the crown to clean it out and placed a temporary filling. I’m supposed to get the permanent filling in a couple weeks

Be gentle on that tooth for awhile, at least until you get the permanent filling. It's been traumatized and it takes time to heal.

P.S. I was just told by my endodontist not to go down the rabbit hole that is Google!

It’s ALWAYS a bad idea to go down the Google rabbit hole. Lol
I know now I didn’t do myself any favors but I was so excited to be able to eat again that I ate ALL the crunchy things ?

I know! Isn't it marvelous to have your tooth back?

It would be if I would able to eat on it! Lol

Back