• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pain after teeth cleaning

T

Tracey

I finally went to get my teeth cleaned which were very bad. A lot of hard tartar was removed especially from lower two bottom front teeth. Of course now I have big gaps and one of the teeth is loose and may need to be splinted to other one. My question is I know my gums are very low on these two teeth but after my cleaning I am soo sensitive to hot and cold. Will this remain like this now?

Not a dentist but experienced in solving this same problem for me.

First, it got better for me in time. That said to get some relief and speed up my recovery I looked for two different sensitivity toothpastes that do NOT whiten. Sensodyne has been the gold standard for years with potassium-nitrate and it helps greatly for a lot of people. I find that it tastes great too. You need to read the packaging for active ingredients, but I believe their Pro-Namel Intensive Enamel Repair still comes with potassium-nitrate.

I use only a soft or ultra soft toothbrush to gently brush plaque away from exposed roots. Ask your dentist or hygienist what they recommend.

Another great toothpaste option for me is one with Stannous Fluoride. I particularly like Sensodyne Rapid Relief.

You could try getting both types of desensitizing toothpastes one with the potassium-nitrate and the other with stanneous fluoride... and rotate them morning and night. You might find the Stannous Fluoride makes your teeth feel funny or warm... For some folks it burns and even stings a little at first where your teeth hurt the first couple uses. For me, then it got better and even felt good.

Use a pea-sized amount. I started brushing in the less sensitive areas first to thin it out a bit before moving to where it hurt. Overall, my teeth thanked me and it started feeling good. For me, it is honestly a miracle desensitizing ingredient.

First I like to floss to reduce inflammation of my gums. I also like to gently pre brush my gums with an alcohol-free germ killing mouthwash... This is when I brush my tongue and the roof of my mouth as well. Then I go to the teeth brushing step and use toothpaste.

You want to brush all tooth surfaces inside (lingual), outside ( buccal ), and chewing (occousal). It should take at least a full two minutes, but I spread the toothpaste around before I begin, so it fully contacts all my teeth for at least two minutes. When in doubt I brush each tooth surface ten (10) strokes if using a manual brush. It is good to expectorate (spit),but not rinse. Do your best to not eat or drink for 30 minutes after brushing. This is what it takes to give Fluoride and desensitizing agents a chance to fully work.

Lastly, if you you are not 100% better in a couple weeks your dentist can still help. I think you will be better before then if you try this regimen.

Please respond back letting us know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank for the tips on the toothpaste! I am going to try that.

I love the enamel repair toothpaste ..

I love the enamel repair toothpaste ..

Yeah it is such a great toothpaste. It is my current choice for a morning toothpaste. It used to be my one and only toothpaste of choice, but if I had only one now it would be their new Sensodyne Rapid Relief. It does work faster and feels good.

The new Stannous fluoride toothpastes desensitize so well Sensodyne is practically switching to it in a lot of their toothpastes. I read somewhere that it is supposed to be great for gum health and has some anti-microbial properties not in regular Sodium Fluoride or Monofluoride Phosphate. I use it at night to help Reduce the bacteria that cause morning breath.

Another great thing I like to do is get Act or a similar fluoride mouth rinse. They just have a small amount of Sodium Fluoride (less than toothpaste), so I don’t use it after brushing. Instead,when I get up in the middle of the night, I swish some of that while taking care of whatever got me up. Then I spit and go back to bed without rinsing. It is very refreshing and certainly cannot hurt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just checking in. Sometimes things just take time to settle down, too, How are you feeling?

Feeling soo much better! That was the craziest feeling. Next is the deep under gum cleaning. They said they have to numb me for that. I hope they don’t numb my whole mouth and do it in sessions. I cannot deal with a full numb mouth

Often they do it in sessions, but ask up front. I would check for post-care instructions too.

Back