• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pain after temporary crown

M

Matt R73

Thanks to this forum and lots of valium, I'm coming to the end of having lots of work done.

Today I had a large filling on a front tooth and a molar prepared for a crown. The molar had a lot of decay and a large amalgam filling. The dentist removed the decay, old filling, refilled it, prepared it for a permanent crown and placed a temporary crown. The dentist said the decay and old filling were quite deep but the pulp hadn't been reached. Ever since the numbing wore off a couple of hours ago it's been throbbing really bad on a scale of 8 out of 10. Has anybody had any experience of this please.

I have. Try not to chew on it or 'test' it at all for several days. Take ibuprofen or another anti-inflammatory if you can. Sometimes it takes time to settle. In order to get the crown to fit correctly, there is work done around the gums that can leave you pretty uncomfortable. Hopefully it will settle. If it doesn't start getting better, you should contact your dentist.

Also, not to be a Debbie downer, but, sometimes, even when the decay isn't super deep, the tooth is just to traumatized to survive. It's really way too early to know if this is the case. You just need to 'baby' it as much as possible for now.

Best of luck!

I have. Try not to chew on it or 'test' it at all for several days. Take ibuprofen or another anti-inflammatory if you can. Sometimes it takes time to settle. In order to get the crown to fit correctly, there is work done around the gums that can leave you pretty uncomfortable. Hopefully it will settle. If it doesn't start getting better, you should contact your dentist.

Also, not to be a Debbie downer, but, sometimes, even when the decay isn't super deep, the tooth is just to traumatized to survive. It's really way too early to know if this is the case. You just need to 'baby' it as much as possible for now.

Best of luck!

Hey, Thanks so much for replying. I will give it a few days and see how it goes. My dentist did say it may be sore for a couple of days, so fingers crossed. It did go off for a couple of hours, but it's back. Unfortunately I can't take anti-inflammatory meds.

Thanks

So a little update. The pain got worse, so I went to the emergency dental service in my area tonight and asked them to x ray it and it was infected. I didn't want any more pain so I asked them to extract it. What really annoys me is the crown prep was supposed to start 20th June, but it became painful so I got an emergency appointment at my dentist 10 days ago and at this appointment I asked if it would be wise to x ray the tooth as he was still working from x rays taken in August but no interest was shown. I then started all the prep work 4 days ago and again asked for an x ray but nope! So basically I went through my longest and most horrid appointment yet all for nothing plus the crown has probably already started to be made so it's cost the dentist/nhs because I certainly won't be paying.

I'm very sorry. That's what happened to me but it took almost a year of agony before I demanded they pull it. I think you made a good call. Hopefully you can get some rest tonight. :)

I'm very sorry. That's what happened to me but it took almost a year of agony before I demanded they pull it. I think you made a good call. Hopefully you can get some rest tonight. :)

Thanks for replying, and I'm sorry you went through nearly a year of agony.

Back