• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pain after temporary crown

J

jenny8484

Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2017
Messages
36
I had a crown replaced on tooth #3 this past August- tooth does not have a root canal. I recently went for a cleaning and the dentist said the crown wasn’t shaped right as food kept getting stuck in a crevice and she offered to remake the crown for me at no cost. I went this past Saturday to get the crown cut off (which took dentist a while) and temporary crown put on. I have noticed a few days later I have pain in the tooth which gets worse at night and wake up having to take Advil, could it be that this tooth is dying? I did notice the tooth was very sensitive when they put the crown on and off.
 
Maybe, is the tooth still sensitive?
 
Is it getting better or worse? If better wait a bit, if worse contact your dentist.
 
Hello, I wanted to update on my situation and I have another question. So about after two weeks the pain subsided. I was on Advil and antibiotics for about a week, I'm not sure if those helped at all... it's been a week since I've taken the last antibiotic and I'm still pain free. I was supposed to go see an Endondontist tomorrow (Dentist said to go anyway even though I'm not in pain anymore) but I found out today that with everything going on with the Coronavirus, they have cancelled my appointment as they are now only taking emergencies. I was supposed to go on Saturday to get my permanent crown on, so I asked the Endodontist office what to do, and they suggested to get the permanent crown on with temporary cement, this way, if the pain returned and I had to go to their office to get a root canal, they'd be able to take the crown off. I'm not sure if this is a good idea, if the pain doesn't end up returning then I 'm wondering if there would be a high risk of the crown coming off with the temp cement... just wanted to see if other dentists out there thought this was the best way to proceed.
 
Hello, I wanted to update on my situation and I have another question. So about after two weeks the pain subsided. I was on Advil and antibiotics for about a week, I'm not sure if those helped at all... it's been a week since I've taken the last antibiotic and I'm still pain free. I was supposed to go see an Endondontist tomorrow (Dentist said to go anyway even though I'm not in pain anymore) but I found out today that with everything going on with the Coronavirus, they have cancelled my appointment as they are now only taking emergencies. I was supposed to go on Saturday to get my permanent crown on, so I asked the Endodontist office what to do, and they suggested to get the permanent crown on with temporary cement, this way, if the pain returned and I had to go to their office to get a root canal, they'd be able to take the crown off. I'm not sure if this is a good idea, if the pain doesn't end up returning then I 'm wondering if there would be a high risk of the crown coming off with the temp cement... just wanted to see if other dentists out there thought this was the best way to proceed.
Not a dentist but I had a temp crown on for 4 months once, with temp cement, as we were waiting on a root canal to see if it failed. It never came off.
I have a tooth that is going to get prepped for a crown in April (if the virus calms down), and my dentist is taking leave for 4 months after that, so he plans to use a stronger temporary cement, that he said should last just fine. I would think yours would be fine as well.
 
As long as you're careful with the crown, don't eat anything terribly sticky and treat it with a little bit of care then it'll be fine. Worst case is it comes off and needs stuck back on again, not a big issue.
 
Hello, I wanted to update on my situation and I have another question. So about after two weeks the pain subsided. I was on Advil and antibiotics for about a week, I'm not sure if those helped at all... it's been a week since I've taken the last antibiotic and I'm still pain free. I was supposed to go see an Endondontist tomorrow (Dentist said to go anyway even though I'm not in pain anymore) but I found out today that with everything going on with the Coronavirus, they have cancelled my appointment as they are now only taking emergencies. I was supposed to go on Saturday to get my permanent crown on, so I asked the Endodontist office what to do, and they suggested to get the permanent crown on with temporary cement, this way, if the pain returned and I had to go to their office to get a root canal, they'd be able to take the crown off. I'm not sure if this is a good idea, if the pain doesn't end up returning then I 'm wondering if there would be a high risk of the crown coming off with the temp cement... just wanted to see if other dentists out there thought this was the best way to proceed.

I'm gonna get my temporary crown on next week too. My main concern is the same as yours, afraid that it will fall off. Planning to keep to porridge for the next two weeks while waiting for permanent crown.

I need to wear a retainer too, so I'm not too sure if it's possible to wear retainer with my temporary crown. Might need a root canal for the tooth behind that too.

Good luck for your dental journey!!
 
Back
Top