• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

pain and emergency dentist ?

S

sitroenn

I have M.E. and a really bad time at the dentist. After a relapse at beginning of year and ongoing problems with orthostatic intolerance (you stand up/get up too quickly and feel or do faint) and low blood sugar I ahd to cancel two appointments for extraction under IV sedation and recently my dentist said she thinks it better to refer me to hospital ---- in fact she sent the forms yesterday.

Last night I woke up with toothache around the site of one of the teeth that's due for extraction. It's not terrible and I can control it more or less with Ibuprofen (it's a lower molar right at the back). Every now and then the pain radiates into my ear canal for a little while and sometimes moves to other teeth along that side of my lower jaw. I'm also very bunged up and sinus-y.

It's a Bank Holiday weekend so none of the dentists are open until Tuesday morning and I could phone the Emergency Dentist but a) I'm afraid about who I'll get ---given that my own dentist doesn't seem too sure about treating me now b) the emergency dentists are 15 miles away and because of the M.E. I find it exhausting to travel ---- haven't been that far in 6 months.

Should I contact the emergency dental team or leave it and try to control any pain with Ibuprofen until Tuesday morning when I can get to my own dentist and ask her to deal with it ??

I'm really confused about what to do. In all honesty, because of the above health issues I 'm used to having some dental pain from time to time and just dealing with it because I'm too unwell to get to the dentist at all or just don't have the stamina to stand the tretament. Often pain in my teeth seems conected to sinus problems and because I'm so bunged up I'm tempted to think that that is the major problem.

Sounds to me like you be better trying to control the pain yourself until Tuesday. After all you can always ring the emergency dentist is things deteriorate.
Check with your pharmacist which painkillers you are ok to take and take then at the intervals recommended if you are in pain. They work best if you do not let them were off.
Best of luck

Back