• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone with a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

It's a supportive space to talk to people with similar experiences, and get advice and information.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pain and major sensitive tooth after porcelain inlay - panic!!

C

clairen

Hi there,

I have a massive phobia of dentists to the extent that I hadn't been in 11 years. I finally plucked up the courage 2 weeks ago just because I thought I should, I had no pain at all or problems other than a broken tooth at the back which had been like it for a few years. So after sobbing, shaking, the dentist finally got me in the chair. He said my teeth were not too bad, a little gum disease and needed scaling and also the broken tooth which was heavily filed needed an inlay. So 40 mins of prepping the tooth and scaling the others he fitted me with a temporary filling (no pain with this or sensitivity at all). Then week later I went back to have the inlay fitted (this procedure really hurt so had to inject again), that evening and the next day I was in slight pain. Over the next few days the pain went but I was left with the area being really sensitive to the cold, but only pain from that. However this last week there has been a constant ache and major sensitivity, I have the sensation that the area is slightly swollen but it isn't. I have bought Sensodyne toothpaste and have been using salt water over the last 2 days, so far not had to take pain killers today but still feel "aware" and slightly numb/ache around the tooth. I hope all this makes sense. Called dentist but he is on holiday this week and I am too scared to see another one, I almost wish I didn't go now as I had zero pain/problems before. I am hoping it is just a case of settling down?? It doesn't hurt to bite down btw.

A

AsaGohan

I have no experience with inlays (not even sure what that is) so my suggestion is to call again and let them know about the pain and see if they can recommend any over the counter stuff OR if you can at least get looked at by a hygienist or dental assistant. I also do understand the fear of going to another dentist. I'm too scared to go to any other dentist but my phobic friendly one.

On the part about regretting the dentist, you should not regret it. All this work he's going to do will save your teeth years from now. 7 years ago if i just had a deep cleaning I would have been able to save one of my molars. Don't let this hold you back from more dental work. I went when I didn't have any pain (just a broken tooth) but I'm happy I'm going to get to keep all but 1 of my teeth.

C

clairen

Thank you! Im trying to hold out until the dentist that did the work is back, I'm hoping I don't have to pay for the emergency appointment as I'm assuming the pain is from something he has done? But then again I doubt very much it will be free :( just adds to the whole thing really, after spending £250 im left with pain.... But you're right if I want to save my teeth then I guess I have to keep going