• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pain continues months after root canal



Junior member
Jan 13, 2013
I had a rct on an upper premolar in December. Prior to having the root canal my general dentist noticed a crack in the tooth and cleaned out the tooth which had a deep filling with some decay around the newly discovered crack. He then bonded the tooth thinking all would be fine. I continued having discomfort which I had prior to him working on the tooth which then resulted in having the rct with my endodontist. All went well, scan and X-rays were done and rct completed. It is now over 2 months and this tooth is still having intermittent discomfort. I am a grinder/clencher and have a new nightguard. Tooth was taken out of occlusion so I am not grinding on it. My dentist has been reluctant to replace temporary filling and putting in permanent one since he prefers to work on the tooth when it is feeling more comfortable but that isn’t happening on a consistent basis. I see him next week to evaluate and hopefully take out temp filling and replace it. As far as a crown, we are waiting to see what happens with the discomfort before moving forward with that. My endodontist said he suggests I wait until the 6 month mark post root canal as this is the appropriate time frame to give the tooth the benefit of the doubt. In the meantime, the tooth will feel ok for a few days and then begin to hurt again. Any ideas as to what may be the cause and also any suggestions as to what steps to take moving forward? I certainly do not want to extract if at all possible.
Thank you!
Sounds like the dentist/endodontist are managing things as well as possible under the circumstances. Cracked teeth are massively unpredictable and each one needs assessed on its own merits.
Basically wait and see what your dentist thinks is the only sensible way to go.