• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pain during drilling & pain in new filling

P

panicannie

I recently had a tooth extracted (lower right molar) and then a week later I went in for 3 fillings on the lower left (1 wisdom, 1 molar & 1 premolar next to the molar). Dentist applied numbing gel first & then gave me a few injections. I could still feel some pain in my gum. She started drilling the premolar & it was ok for a bit & then I felt pain. She changed to the slower drill & it was ok but then a bit of pain. She then started on the wisdom tooth which was fine but then a bit of pain. More injections & still the same. Eventually she gave up. She completed the premolar & filled it but put a temp in the wisdom tooth & plans to finish it off on Tuesday. I am petrified that I'm going to feel pain. She says that either my teeth are too sensitive or I'm too nervous (I was calmer than usual). My lip was numb for ages afterwards & I've noticed I have a few red marks inside my cheek. The filling she completed is very sensitive & I've had some pain from it. I also can't seem to floss there & when I try it hurts.

I've spent the last few days crying because I'm so scared to go back. I need those 3 fillings done and then the wisdom tooth upper left (a hard to get to tooth) & a premolar upper left and a molar on the upper right. I just wish they could knock me out & get it all done but it doesn't seem like something they do on NHS.

Could there be any other reason why it's not numbing me? I hate the drill :cry:

Hello there..

Sorry to hear that you are having this problem.

There can be a number of things that can cause the rare problem of ineffective local anaesthetic, I'm not a dentist but please see below link to the appropriate page on here that might help. I have had this problem in the past due to the "wiring" in my lower jaw being slightly different:o And it was overcome by my dentist at the time using a slightly different anaesthetic and technique.

Perhaps it would be worth discussing your concerns with your dentist before you go in for the remainder of the work.

Hope this is helpful, with the right communication and application by your dentist pretty much all dental procedures should be pain free experiences.

Kind Regards

Thank you for the advice & info. My appointment is tomorrow & the nerves are starting already but I'm trying to keep calm. I have bought some Bach rescue remedy to try.

Just to say Good luck for tomorrow :clover::clover:, Im sure it will be all fine :)

Back