• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pain, Fear, Stress and Despair

C

carriss

Over the past 18 months I have had 5 root canals done and I am waiting to get another one done. None of these have been successful, three have been extracted and the other two I am living with although they are uncomfortable. The last one was just done last Wednesday. They were done by a respected endodontist.
I feel I've got to accept that root canals just don't work for me and cancel the next one I've to get done. When the dentist looks at the x-ray she says it looks perfect, but I'm still in pain.
I just don't know what to do. I can't sleep and it's all I think about all day.
I can't face the thought of dentures, but can't afford implants. Already spent a lot on private root canal surgery, thinking I was doing the right thing.
Any advice gratefully received.

Hi go and see another dentist and get a second opinion. Sometimes rct can take some time to settle down and can sometimes give us trouble until they do.

I think having to have three teeth out after rct's seems odd but I am not a dentist so it is only my opinion. I have had experience of rct's and have had a re-treatment after one got infected. Please go to see another dentist and get them to see what is going on with your treatments.

All the best to you :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly:

Hi,
What was the problem in the first place? did you notice any change in your pain through out the multiple root canal treatments?

Hi,
What was the problem in the first place? did you notice any change in your pain through out the multiple root canal treatments?

With each tooth I had toothache, the tooth was x-rayed and it was seen that the nerve had died or was in the process of dying. Root canal was done, but the pain never went away.
Even after one extraction I still have pain where the tooth was. The dentist thinks it is due to nerve damage (as it felt numb at first) but I am worried there is a gum infection (is it cavitation?). The tooth I had root canal on last week is next to the one that has had pain since extraction, and this confuses the pain signals too. Three adjacent teeth have been root-canalled this year, two others on the same side , but upper, were done last year.
Previous to that I had never had a root canal, I'm in my 40s.
I also have an auto-immune illness but my dentist and endodontist both say this isn't relevant to me getting so many dying teeth.

With so much work back to back, have you consulted with someone about the possibility of a chronic pain syndrome being established, due to all the trauma?

Last edited:
Back