• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pain felt prio to a root canal after an extraction....???

T

TomMarkz

HI,
So I have had a terrible infection in tooth #7 which required an Apicoectomy. That surgery failed which required an additional apicectomy which failed again. I had a bad infection that required 3 drains inlcuding being on antibiotics which the body was not responding too. So finally an extraction of tooth #7 was made. During extraction there was a great deal of bone-loss and a bone graft was completed. Its been one week since surgery and the Surgical site feels good. However there is one problem. Tooth #8 the adjacent front tooth feels like the pain you feel in a tooth prior to a root canal. There is no thermal-sensitivity but there is sensitivity to touch. Inner-lip rubbing against tooth causes discomfort, brushing said tooth causes sensitivity, biting down on the tooth causes discomfort. Xray was performed of tooth #8 (5) days post-op with no evidence that the root is affected.
Is it normal for an adjacent tooth to become sensitive from an extraction? Will this go away? If so, how long?

Hi it can take some time for things to settle down. The teeth at the side of an extraction can also feel a bit loose for a short time after. I would think within two to three weeks things should feel as if they are getting back to being normal again. :butterfly:

Hi it can take some time for things to settle down. The teeth at the side of an extraction can also feel a bit loose for a short time after. I would think within two to three weeks things should feel as if they are getting back to being normal again. :butterfly:

Oh ok! I was getting real concerned. And Im feeling that "loose tooth" sensation as well. I felt like I got rid of one problem and gained another.

It sounds like you will be okay but if you do get a lot of pain that gets worse or if you are still worried then do contact your dentist and let them have a look.

Happy healing :friends::butterfly:

Oh ok! I was getting real concerned. And Im feeling that "loose tooth" sensation as well. I felt like I got rid of one problem and gained another.

Hi TomMarkz, I was wondering if your tooth ever returned to its normal state or if you had to have your dentist check on it? I'm going through a similar experience, had tooth #4 extracted 10 days ago and now the tooth directly in front of it has been aching and feeling loose ever since. I had zero issues with it prior to the adjacent extraction and am going crazy wondering what's going on and how long it will last, if it is indeed temporary. I would really appreciate your response:)

The sensations you are feeling are normal but if in doubt see your dentist. The gum will toughen back up and you will feel normal again within weeks.

Back