• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

pain from intraosseous anesthesia a month later????

S

sandra03

hello, this is my first post here, i hope someone can offer me some info or advice.
i will be calling my dentist next monday to see what they say but they are closed all this week and last week (who said they could go on holidays, the nerve.. pah ;) )

anyway i went in on january 24th or so and had 4 fillings on the right side (top and bottom), and then back in on feb. 7th for 2 more fillings on the left side, one on top one on the bottom (i know i know, shame on me, it's been a while since i had a dental plan and i find flossing difficult since my teeth are really tightly spaced. i have been trying to do it more often since finding out i had 6 cavities so no need to lecture haha)

so my dentist has a new high tech office and uses an intra osseous anesthesia system, i'm not sure which one, i know it's a one-step type.
after the first visit i was a little sore the day of and a few days after but i figured that was normal and it did seem to get better. i figured if it still bothered me at the time of my second session i'd mention it, but the last 2 days or so before my appointment it seemed fine. i did mention that i had some discomfort up until then and the tech gave me heck for not calling right away but didn't mention it to the dentist since it did seem to go away.

after the second session i had the same discomfort only this time it didn't really go away. and then the right side start to hurt again. it's not all the time and not one specific tooth all the time, it usually hits shortly after i eat (though not while i'm eating). the pain is mostly pinpointed to the teeth he froze, sort of a deep throbbing, but it spreads and aches all across my jaw. it's not the tooth itself or the gums but deep down in the root or bone. and it moves around. one minute my bottom back left molar hurts the next it's on the right side and next thing i know the whole jaw hurts or it moves to the top..
usually goes away on its own eventually but the pain is getting more intense each day, i've started taking ibuprofen as soon as i feel it coming on.
the best way i can describe it is it feels like a headache but in my jaw. it hit me at 4am this morning and woke me up, i took an ibuprofen but it didn't go away enough for me to get back to sleep until after 5:30 some time.

what is going on? is it a reaction of some kind, even so wouldn't it be getting better by now not worse? what else can i try other than ibuprofen? the teeth he worked on are also very sensitive to cold and heat right now, moreso than any other fillings i've ever had in the past. and these were not deep cavities they were all just starting out, none of them were causing me any pain or issues before the fillings.

the freezing method is the only thing i can think of that he did differently from my previous dentists. he's supposed to be the best in town and he has a very gentle touch and is very thorough and meticulous so i don't think he did anything wrong exactly.. but i can't find any information online about side effects or reactions to this method. everything i'm reading says it has less pain and after effects than the traditional method so i don't get it. next time i need any freezing i'll be asking for the good old tried and true needle just to be safe

sorry for the long post but i'm getting super frustrated :shame:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Sandra, it is difficult to know what's going on here without an examination. My guess would be that the pain your having is tooth related (i.e related to the recent dental work you had carried out) as opposed to the type of injection. If the pain gets worse and you cant wait until your own dentist gets back from holidays then you might try and see another.
Hope that helps.

thanks for the reply
the pain is deep down in the root or bone and all i had done was fillings, the one that hurts the most was very shallow, and like i said i've never had prolonged pain from a filling before. i had no pain during the sessions.
i'm really thinking i'm having some kind of reaction or side effect from the IO freezing method since i've never had it done before and it was the only thing done differently from what i'm used to.

when i tried googling it for info on possible issues all i could find was ads selling the machines and articles written for and by dentists saying how much better this system is and how it usually causes less pain and after effects than the traditional needle, blah blah blah. they do sometimes mention there is post-op pain in rare cases but they don't go into more detail than that. i've searched every way i can think of to find more info about these rare cases but all i find are articles that i have to purchase to read which i wouldn't understand anyway since they're for dentists' use and not in layman's terms i assume. so i was hoping someone here would have experience with this thing and be able to tell me something about it, if this pain is normal, if it will go away, if i can do something to help other than taking ibuprofen (i'm on my third one today, i hate taking it so often)

i also find it odd that the pain isn't all the time, it hits me several times a day but does eventually go away. there's no discomfort in between, it does not hurt to chew, i have no inflammation anywhere that i can tell. if i had any of the above i'd assume it was tooth pain from the fillings. i did have some pain with one filling that i had in the first session, a molar that was hurting when i chewed, when i went for the second session he filed it down a little more and now it's fine. and it's not one of the areas that i'm having pain in now.

Hi Sandra, sorry to hear you are having pain after your dental treatment. I use intraosseous injections and have not had any problems. I cant be certain what's going on here without an examination . I would advise you see a dentists asap.

update:
i got in to see the dentist yesterday. saw the dental assistant first, she does NOT listen. not a fan. i'm trying to explain to her what kind of pain it is and where it is and she kept interupting me telling me it's just sensitivity or the bite is off, and then rolling her eyes at me when i was talking while she was trying to look.
i told her i thought it could be pulpitis and she said it's usually set off by cold but cold isn't bothering me beyond the usual sensitivity, i mentioned that eating hot foods sets it off but it sometimes comes on randomly when i'm not eating.
she tried to blame it on clenching but i make a conscious effort not to clench, it's a bad habit i've been trying hard to break the last few months especially after having some jaw pain back in december.

anyway she was no help, but got the dentist in to check. he said it was probably inflammation and that sometimes it just happens because of working on the tooth, which would be why ibuprofen helps. he did say the bite was off but not because of the fillings, he says that sometimes after working on teeth they don't sit the same as before. i had issues with the bite on another filling he did, which he fixed last visit, but it was a different pain altogether and only hurt when biting down on something, which i told him. he said it's probably inflammation but he wanted to fix the bite anyway just to be safe so he ground down a bit from 2 molars, one isn't even the one that he worked on before, it's next to it.

anyways it seems to have gotten less frequent and less severe the last few days anyways, i kept the appointment anyway just to be sure, i'm down to one or no ibuprofen most days instead of 3-5 when it was at its worst.
i'm not going to worry about it since it is getting better, and i go for a cleaning in a couple weeks so if it's still bothering me then i'll mention it.
however i'm losing my job by the end of the month and therefore losing my dental benefits. might be a year or more before we get benefits again, i'm thinking next time i go to the dentist i might go to someone else. my mom loves hers, i went to him as a kid, thinking i'll go back to him next time.
i've had many fillings and none have ever given me issues like this

Hi Sandra. 1st of all, I'm glad to hear things are getting better. This is always a good sign. 2nd, shame on the dental assistant for her lack of compassion/listening. I can understand you wanting to change your dentist; and if you have a good recommendation from your mother then that might be the place to go. Hope all goes well over the next few days and things continue to get better.
Regards

thanks David

it's still hitting me now and then but not as often. i had bad pain saturday for 2 hours or so, was fine sunday and monday for the most part, and then today it hit me bad for about 3 hours. when it was at its worst it was hitting me 3-4 times a day every day so it is better but the pain still gets really intense.
after reading that link the other day i do think it is pulpitis, the description of the pain is dead on. i guess there isn't much they can do about it anyway but wait it out as long as it is showing improvement. but it would be nice if there was something else i could do to ease the pain besides popping ibuprofen all the time, they're starting to upset my stomach :/

Hi Sandra, it does sound like pulpitis your having. Hopefully it continues to get better (try alternating between paracetamol and ibuprofen to help your stomach and make sure you take the tablets with water and some food if possible). If the pain does not settle down maybe you could consider an emergency appointment with the new dentist.

well thing is i'm losing my job in 2 weeks, and once my severence is done i'll have no dental benefits. i'm booked for a cleaning next week, i haven't had one in 4 years or so, so i don't want to cancel it in case i can't get in at the other dentist before i lose my benefits. as is i might have to cancel, benefits only cover 80% of the bill and i have to pay upfront and get reimbursed, i may not have the money next week to go at all. long story short, i won't be able to get in to the new dentist probably until i find another job with benefits, which is hard to come by around here, or until hubby finishes school and starts his teaching career, since teachers get good benefits. but he won't be done school for another year and then won't start teaching til the following school year at the earliest. might be a while. *sigh*
best case scenario i'll be in for a cleaning next week and i'll mention to them whether or not i've still got pain at that point.

nothing much today but yesterday and tuesday were a bit rough. it's down to one tooth now at least so i avoid chewing on that side as much as possible, and i've discovered that yes cold does set it off as well as hot, so i'm drinking room temperature beverages if i can, and if i can't i've been tilting my head to the right to keep it from hitting the problem tooth on the left. my coworkers find it amusing :lol:

Back