• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pain getting worse

A

arg1n18

I had a dental appointment last week (my first in a while) and have been told that I need quite a bit of work doing. I’ve got 5 appointments being booked and sent out to me (they had no availability in the diary so said they’ll let me know when they’ve booked them).

I knew I was going to need one of my teeth pulled (number 30 I think) because I had a root canal done years ago and have had nothing but problems since - that’s the main reason I’ve avoided the dentist for so long.

But since my appointment the pain in that tooth in particular is getting worse. A little more of the filling has come out (I never had a crown - was told it wasn’t necessary but new dentist has said it would have solved some of the issues) since then and I have a deep throbbing pain that is getting harder to ignore.

I don’t really know what constitutes needing an emergency appointment and to be honest, I don’t want one. But it’s getting to the point where I feel like I might not have any other option. I think part of it is only having been to the dentist last week I kind of don’t want to feel like I’m bothering them when I know an appointment for the extraction will arrive at some point.

Maybe I should bite the bullet and ask for an appointment, I don’t know. I’m overthinking and rambling now 😅 any advice/reassurance would be very appreciated!

Hey there,

this totally sounds like a good reason to get in touch again! Emergency sounds like such a big word and I see how you don't want to be a bother and may have anxiety about the anxiety about what would come, but your dentist will surely be happier if you get in now rather than toughen it out.

I believe emergency appointments are a bit unlucky if you have no dentist and have to see someone for the first time while needing urgent treatment. That makes building trust difficult and is not great for dental fear. But if this is now your practice, then that is a different scenario and they will be happy to see you.

You don't have to endure that pain and you are not bothering them. And by the way - why would someone chose a profession and then be bothered if a customer walks in? And some professions include being there for emergencies. :)

All the best wishes

Hey there,

this totally sounds like a good reason to get in touch again! Emergency sounds like such a big word and I see how you don't want to be a bother and may have anxiety about the anxiety about what would come, but your dentist will surely be happier if you get in now rather than toughen it out.

I believe emergency appointments are a bit unlucky if you have no dentist and have to see someone for the first time while needing urgent treatment. That makes building trust difficult and is not great for dental fear. But if this is now your practice, then that is a different scenario and they will be happy to see you.

You don't have to endure that pain and you are not bothering them. And by the way - why would someone chose a profession and then be bothered if a customer walks in? And some professions include being there for emergencies. :)

All the best wishes
Thank you!

Overnight the tooth has cracked even more and the pain has stayed fairly consistently bad so I put on my brave face and have left a message with the surgery requesting an appointment as soon as possible 😬

Luckily I take fairly decent pain meds for chronic pain and so I have Tramadol on hand which has helped a little!

They’ve got me an appointment on Thursday afternoon so hopefully they’ll be able to do something to help. I could have been seen tomorrow but it was at a surgery that’s an hour away and I don’t have a support worker with a car tomorrow so I figured it was best to wait an extra day.

I’ll be overthinking things until then haha. Im kind of hoping they’ll just pull the tooth then and there (it’s coming out at some point anyway) but that means having it done just with local rather than under general which was the plan initially. But its cracked and painful and bits keep coming off so maybe it’s best just to get it over and done with 😬

Glad to hear that they can see you so quickly, here's hoping that you'll be out of pain very soon.

All the best for Thursday 👍!!

Back