• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pain in 4 month old filling.

A

afguynwh

Okay so i had a upper molar filled back at the end of September. It was pretty deep from what my dentist said. Everything went smooth with getting it filled though. For the first couple weeks after it was somewhat sensitive but nothing too bad. That eventually went away and all was good until early in December. I was drinking some hot cocoa one day which really wasn't that hot. I felt something strange in that tooth that was filled. It felt almost like a sharp cracking followed by extreme paralyzing pain that only lasted for about 15-20 seconds. Ever since that happened whenever something warm touched that tooth it would cause that same pain although not as severe.I was still able to eat on the side with no problems till recently. Now if i chew anything other than really soft foods, if a certain spot is hit i feel that sharp pain again. The past couple of days it has seemed to be even worse. It doesn't hurt constantly which is whats strange. I could be walking along doing nothing with my mouth and the sharp pain will hit and almost kind of pulse for a few seconds then stop. What the heck is going on here? I'm afraid i'm going to have to have a root canal,which i can't afford and honestly just don't want to deal with the pain. If worse comes to worse i'll just have it pulled. I'm going to be making an appt. Tuesday with my dentist but if anybody here has any idea of what could be going on could chime in i'd really appreciate it.

Well when I saw this question, it appeared that you'd already gone to your dentist, so what happened?

Well it turns out i went to my dentist on the 21st. He looked at it for a few minutes, tested the bite, and gave me an x ray. And after all that he tells me nothing is wrong with it? No abscess, no bite deformity, filling still intact. Yet, i'm still experiencing severe pain on occasion with this tooth. He told me as long as the pain isn't constant or waking me up at night i'm okay. Well it may not be doing those things but it sure as hell is painful. His receptionist said it was probably just sensitivity. I know what sensitive teeth feel like and this sure isn't it.

Best i can suggest is that you ask for another dentist to look at it, is this a 1 man practice or does your dentist have a partner or associate?

Is it a white fillings?

Back