• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pain in crown

L

Louie1

2 years ago I had 2 porcelain crowns put on two front teeth which had both been root canalled 2 years previous fast forward 2 years and I’m getting some pain in one or both of them I’m not sure which also they are loose now as they move when I touch them , I’m really stressing about it as I’m petrified they are going to fall out , can’t get to see y dentist yet as hes away until next week . I’m really worried that there going to have to be extracted now and have to have false ones , I’m not really sure what’s going on as the teeth are supposed to be dead so shouldn’t hurt surely ? Any advise would be appreciated or if anyone else has had this happen thank you

Hi Louie1, if you can, please try to take deep breaths and keep your imagination in check. I know it's so hard and the fact it's front teeth makes it worse, but the most people (me too) catastrophise about dental stuff when there is a problem and it most usually is not as bad as they thought. Even super mobile teeth do not just fall out and certainly nothing will get worse until next week anyway. By the way, teeth always move a bit if you touch them. Also, what dentists do is to help you keep your teeth and not extract them. Is this the first time you will see a dentist after the crowns have been put on?

Hi no I have been going regularly has I’ve had some extractions and partial denture fitted , it’s stressing me out so much I think as it’s my front teeth and if the crowns have failed i won’t be able to have them and surely crowns shouldn’t move as there cemented in thank you for your reply

Checking crowns is something a dentist looks at when you have a checkup. If you have seen your dentist regularly, it's very unlikely that something is so wrong that you could lose your front teeth. Also, a crown can be replaced, they sometimes can get lose and have to be recemented and there are probably many other reasons that can be going on. Also, you mentioned they are both moving, so I am still wondering whether it's the natural movement that every tooth has (the typical scenario is that people grab a tooth at one point and check and it's moving - because it always has - and then they worry that something is wrong) or the crowns not being firm. It's very unlikely to have the same issue on two teet hat the same time. Just a thought. Hope you can get some reassurance and a solution next week.

Back