• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pain in gum area after extraction

K

Kluch

Hello,
I had my lower second molar extracted last week due to having months of pain in the tooth which had no clear cut diagnosis. Root canal failed so we extracted. The extraction site itself seems to be healing well but I am having significant pain on my gums next to the extraction site (on the cheek side, not tongue side) where there is redness and very tender to touch. To be clear the redness/soreness is not in the extraction site but right next to it on the gum area.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thank you.

If the pain is "significant" then it needs checking out I'm afraid. It's probably just healing but there may be a spicule (a sharp splinter) of bone working through, very easily dealt with so don't panic about it!

If the pain is "significant" then it needs checking out I'm afraid. It's probably just healing but there may be a spicule (a sharp splinter) of bone working through, very easily dealt with so don't panic about it!
Thank you so much for getting back to me. I do not feel anything sharp in the area but am wondering how exactly would it be dealt with? Indo not see anything protruding.
Thank you!

Depends on how annoying they are really. Sometimes they can be left to work their own way out, other times they need a spot of surface anaesthetic gel and a quick tug with some tweezers.

Hey, I had the same thing after extraction of lower first molar. The gum around the second premolar was very sore and felt 'raw'. It nearly looked as if part of the gum of that tooth had been rubbed away exposing the tooth underneath. It did heal up within about 2 weeks or so, but would still sometimes get sensitivity there.

Hey, I had the same thing after extraction of lower first molar. The gum around the second premolar was very sore and felt 'raw'. It nearly looked as if part of the gum of that tooth had been rubbed away exposing the tooth underneath. It did heal up within about 2 weeks or so, but would still sometimes get sensitivity there.
I don’t see or feel anything sharp, just very red and very painful. What did you do for it? Did you actually see bone or was it just red and irritated? Glad to know it resolved for you, hope the same happens for me!

I don't think it was bone as the surgeon filed down the bone after the extraction to stop bits working their way up. It was more as if the tooth under the gum of the premolar was showing through. I just kept up with the salty mouthwashes. Apparently genigel is very good for sore gums too. You can get either a mouthwash or gel.

Depends on how annoying they are really. Sometimes they can be left to work their own way out, other times they need a spot of surface anaesthetic gel and a quick tug with some tweezers.
Hi again,
The pain is still there, tends to get worse as the day goes by and by evening it is quite painful. I do not see any signs of a spicule but if I lightly press on the area with my finger or a q-tip it is extremely painful in one small area. The extraction site itself looks to be healing well but there continues to be redness on the buccal side where this pain is. Could there have been a small fracture or something of the sort at the time of extraction? I just cannot figure out what is going on and was hoping to be almost healed and pain free by now. I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks you so much.

Sounds awful like a bit of bone, sometimes the socket heals with a sharp edge which kind of cuts into the gum as it starts to heal and shrink down over the hole.

Sounds awful like a bit of bone, sometimes the socket heals with a sharp edge which kind of cuts into the gum as it starts to heal and shrink down over the hole.
Thank you for responding, it is much appreciated! Will it stop hurting as it heals or will I need another procedure? If it will heal on its own, how long should it take for this pain to go away? As long as I know it will resolve on its own I would much prefer that instead of having to have another procedure!

There's no way to tell without examining you, sorry. I'd give it about a week, if it's not improved by then call your dentist again.

There's no way to tell without examining you, sorry. I'd give it about a week, if it's not improved by then call your dentist again.
I did see my oral surgeon and he believes it is a small piece of sharp bone around the socket as you said. He said the body works hard to smooth it out and it most likely will resolve on its own but as the gum tissue is shrinking to cover the extraction site it can be quite painful. He also said at times it may poke out of the gum tissue and eventually fall off or it can be filed down if that happens. I must say, this is really hurting and I just wish there was something I could do to make the pain go away! Can you please give me an idea as to how long it may take to resolve and what in your experience is the best way to handle it?!
thanks again.

Frustrating for you, unfortunately there's nothing you can do to speed things up. The surgeon could go back in and smooth it off more.
I'd expect it to improve in a week or so if it's going to go away itself.

Back