• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pain in next tooth after extraction

A

astimegoesby

After 8 months of pain I finally yesterday got my first upper molar out because the scan showed a crack. This was not neuropathic pain as they said for so many months... The doctor said you were right, there was a problem indeed... The doctor could not yet it really numb and said there was a small fistula that did not show in the scans.

Relived that now i would be fine hoping, mad that i had to go through so much because nobody believed my pain..

He had to brake the tooth in order to cautiously take the broken root out and clean the socket due to the fracture and the whole thing lasted half an hour. I now have stitches.

My question is, and I am really freaking out over this, hoping that this extraction did not create any additional problems , that as of last night, some hours after the extraction the tooth next to it (second molar) started hurting when i close my mouth and it touches the teeth on the bottom. I haven't chewed of course from that side so I don't know if it would hurt when chewing.. Is this normal???

Can the alignment have changed due to the extraction, because i feel it is the first tooth touching when i close the mouth.

It's quite common to get pain on pressure from neighbouring teeth immediately after an extraction, especially a difficult one like yours.
We need to add this to the post-extraction advice FAQ I think.

When I had a lower molar extracted, I had pain in the the neighboring two teeth (premolar and canine) for almost two week. Then it just stopped gradually.

Thank you so much for your replies!!! They are really relieving.

@MountainMama did you have pain in general or when put pressure in the teeth like closing the mouth? I do not so far throbbing pain only when they touch the teeth on the bottom. It is like the tooth is out of place and when i press it goes back in position.

Thank you so much for your replies!!! They are really relieving.

@MountainMama did you have pain in general or when put pressure in the teeth like closing the mouth? I do not so far throbbing pain only when they touch the teeth on the bottom. It is like the tooth is out of place and when i press it goes back in position.
Both. My teeth ached but didn’t throb. They also felt “bruised” when I put my teeth together.

I had this too. The next door tooth had never even had a filling, and I was crushed when it suddenly started hurting out of the blue. I’d had months of pain and treatment on the tooth that was extracted, so I honestly felt cursed! When I went back for the follow up after the extraction my dentist examined it thoroughly, x-rayed it, and promised me nothing was wrong. She said it had been bashed about a bit. It took a couple of weeks to settle.

(I also had a difficult extraction - lower molar - and my dentist had to section the tooth into bits because it wouldn’t come out.)

I had the same after my upper second molar extraction. It took a little while for it to feel normal again I didn’t have pain or anything when biting down though but I guess every extraction is different maybe that tooth just got a good jarring and will take a bit to settle down hope your feeling better today ?

Back